want to know about mosfet

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shindehari, May 19, 2014.

1. shindehari

Thread Starter New Member

May 19, 2014
    when i trying to connect p-channel mosfet source to 10v +ve supply and drain to ground through cro and the cro reading is the supply voltage, there is no trigger to the gate terminal. so, my question is that without applying gate trigger why it is conducting and giving output to the drain. so give me conceptual answer of my question

thank you

2. jerluwoo

May 17, 2014
    A mosfet can be made to conduct by simply touching a meter probe to the gate pin, in fact this a way to test that a mosfet is good. First test short all leads together then check for continuity between source and drain without touching the gate. It should not conduct. Then charge the gate by touching the meter probes to the source and gate, polarity depending on N or P channel, and testing that the source to drain now conducts.

3. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    The MOSFET must not be operated with the gate not connected.

Connect the gate to the source with a resistor. This can be quite a high value: 1MΩ or more.

Because the gate is insulated it can pick-up a static charge that can cause the MOSFET to conduct.

The mosfet can be damaged if the gate - source voltage is greater than about ±15V.

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    You should have a load of some type; MOSFETs leak between the drain and source, so a load is needed to make the resulting voltage very low.