Want to be a good engineer

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Congratulations on graduating! I hope your career goes well!

I graduated almost 20 years ago. My career has been about 98% software, but here is some experience that I think will hold true for hardware also.

I've witnessed 2 kinds of successful people; those who immediately understand everything and it all comes easy, and those who have to work harder but don't give up until they get it. Both are productive and successful. It's the ones who really enjoy their work, and live it 24/7 that really stand out.

Always listen when someone speaks, especially someone with experience, even if you initially disagree with whatever they're saying. Some of the best learning moments are at times when you least expect it, and you can learn something from everyone. Have fun and good luck!

Romsha

Joined Nov 29, 2013
A good engineer, or someone with the innate proclivity to be a good engineer, doesn't ask advice on how to be a good engineer. Such a person:

a) knows what they know;
b) knows what they don't know;
c) knows how to find what they don't know;
- and -
d) has the confidence to do so.

I think good engineers are born, not made. IMHO.
You are entitled to your opinion. And I think you are very experienced and a wise person. But you dont get to decide whether i can be a good engineer or not. That time will tell and my efforts. Not everyone is born talented. If anyone who has ever been slightly good at something only was that because he/she was born that way, i think you are seriously under-estimating the potential an average human being has.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You are entitled to your opinion. And I think you are very experienced and a wise person. But you dont get to decide whether i can be a good engineer or not. That time will tell and my efforts. Not everyone is born talented. If anyone who has ever been slightly good at something only was that because he/she was born that way, i think you are seriously under-estimating the potential an average human being has.
Consider my comments a challenge, then. Rise to it.

I wish you luck and a great deal of success.