Want to be a good engineer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Romsha, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Romsha

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Electronics fascinate me, there is so much to learn that I always end up chasing and never grabbing. I do not get the hold of a concept though I study and read a lot, go well into deep. I want to be a good engineer. Any advice for me.

2. w2aew

Jan 3, 2012
    Start with the basics... Ohms law, Kierkoffs law, basic circuit component functions and characteristics, basic DC and AC circuit analysis. If you don't have a firm understanding of the these fundamentals as a foundation, you can't build upon them and apply them to do good engineering work.

3. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    start with basic , first you need to know about component like resistor, transistor, diode , capacitor , inductor these are main component , after that you need to about their parameters like current rating, voltage rating resistance, capacitance ...and other

after that use this component in circuit
    diode - use in rectifier
    capacitor- filter circuit
    transistor- amplifier circuit

you can make practical circuit buy multimeter, some component and make some small circuit like rectifier, filter,amplifier
    you can simulate the circuit by simulator so that you can learn more
    I hope this will help you

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Romsha likes this.
  4. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    Romsha likes this.
  5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If you are just starting out then ignore that there are transistors, diodes, capacitors, inductors, integrated circuits... keep them aside.

Just a voltage source and resistors are needed to learn the basics of analysis: Thevenin and Norton equivalents, loop analysis, node analysis, and probably several others too.

You need to know how to make complex things simple, how to abstract away many things.

Then start on AC analysis and add in caps and inductors.

I took a year long course just doing that. So see you next year when you are ready for the next step.

6. Romsha

Nov 29, 2013
    Thanks everyone!

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I think that a circuit simulator would be a big help in learning the basics.
    You can start with simple circuits and observe the voltages and currents anywhere in the circuit (something that can be difficult to do in a real circuit).
    Several on these websites (including myself) use LTspice, which is a free download from Linear Technology.
    The learning curve can be a little steep but there is a good tutorial and many sample circuits to help you get started.

cmartinez likes this.
  8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Ben doing that for 40 years. I'm not sure you'll ever get over that feeling.

cmartinez and Nykolas like this.
  9. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Go to school, at least long enough to get a firm grasp of fundamentals. Trying to learn on your own without a good foundation will be a constant struggle.

10. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I've got high standards for what I consider a 'good engineer'. From what you write, you probably will never be one. Not to worry, though. Electronics is fun. Enjoy the hobby.

cabraham likes this.
  11. RBR1317

Nov 13, 2010
    I would guess you have not gone to an engineering college yet. If you are still in high school, then take as much math & science courses as possible, take shop classes (wood, metal, electronics) and build things, learn to write well. In engineering college you will study much mathematics (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, discrete math) and learn the application of math techniques for solution of engineering problems. Study physics, chemistry, statics & dynamics, thermodynamics, electromagnetic fields. Study circuit theory and network analysis for DC, frequency domain, & complex frequency domain. Study linear systems theory and signal analysis. There will be a few lab courses where you will get to see a transistor and maybe an op-amp. They will try to help you think like an engineer, but it would be better if you could do that before starting engineering college. Surviving this process is how to become a good engineer.

Romsha and Roderick Young like this.
  12. Romsha

Nov 29, 2013
    I posted this two years ago. I am about to graduate in few months.

MrSoftware likes this.
  13. Romsha

Nov 29, 2013
    Thanks for your answer. Why do you think i will never be a good engineer? Who is a good engineer in your opinion?

14. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    1 year, five months and 3 days (I think). See, everything in electronics has to be accurate! Don't let joey discourage you, I have been at it for 55 years and still think I am not very good! E

15. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    It's just his opinion. You have nothing to prove to any of us, but I hope you prove him wrong:cool:

Romsha likes this.
  16. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    1 year, 5 months and 3 days (I think). You see, everything in electronics has to be accurate!
    Don't let joey discourage you. I have been at it for 55 years and I don't think am very good at it yet! E

ScottWang likes this.
  17. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    No such thing as good engineer, That would mean that you stopped progressing and learning new things.

18. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Something must have been lost in the translation. An engineer can be good and still learn new things. An engineer can be bad and still learn new things.

19. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    A good engineer, or someone with the innate proclivity to be a good engineer, doesn't ask advice on how to be a good engineer. Such a person:

a) knows what they know;
    b) knows what they don't know;
    c) knows how to find what they don't know;
    - and -
    d) has the confidence to do so.

I think good engineers are born, not made. IMHO.

ErnieM and cabraham like this.
  20. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    So, you are around to 70 years old, I started to learn from 1974, and I still felt a lot never touch, I'm still learning today, that's why I'm here, sharing what I knew and learning some thing that I don't know, go go go, EE is fun ... :D