Want simplest mC that can communicate with an Android device

BtoomBoom

Joined Mar 31, 2015
Hello everyone.
I want to control an L293 H-bridge via an Android device. I am looking for the simplest and cheapest micro controller that allows me to accomplish that via USB or Bluetooth.

I am trying to create a robot that can be controlled remotely, thus the Android device needs to send just some simple signals for the robot to move.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Which micro controller would be the most suitable?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Simple and what you want may not be a great fit. I think you need to refine your requirements so that we can choose from a couple of candidates rather than an ocean of possibilities. For example are we talking a single chip solution or is a multiple chip design OK. Are you going to make just one or will you be making a bunch of them. What kind of $$'s are you willing to spend. Some of the answers to these questions will involve some significant effort. Maybe someone has a pat answer and a finished design they want to share. If so I'll yield the floor.

josip

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Hello everyone.
I want to control an L293 H-bridge via an Android device. I am looking for the simplest and cheapest micro controller that allows me to accomplish that via USB or Bluetooth.

I am trying to create a robot that can be controlled remotely, thus the Android device needs to send just some simple signals for the robot to move.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Which micro controller would be the most suitable?
I don't know which micro is most suitable, but any used as CDC device will be fine.
Here is example for MSP430F550X entry level USB family slaa630 Android Applications With MSP430 USB on Mobile Devices
http://www.ti.com/mcu/docs/litabsmu...eNumber=slaa630&docCategoryId=1&familyId=1615

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
You can get cheap Bluetooth modules that have a serial interface for less than $5. Just about every microcontroller would be able to interface to it, take your pick.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's why we need to know if a multichip or multimodule solution meets the TS/OPs requirements. Trying to meet an ambiguous specification is like pushing on a vertical rope.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am wondering if the free Android Parrot Quadcopter app that operates on Wi-Fi, most likely 2.5Ghz would work with a normal RC 2.5Ghz receiver?
You have at least 8 channel control.
Max.

sevenfold4

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Maybe Raspberry Pi could satisfy your needs? Very easy to use, you could try both web interface or via Bluetooth. Bluetooth works for any MCU that has uart too tho. Older RPis are pretty cheap.

BtoomBoom

Joined Mar 31, 2015
Maybe Raspberry Pi could satisfy your needs? Very easy to use, you could try both web interface or via Bluetooth. Bluetooth works for any MCU that has uart too tho. Older RPis are pretty cheap.
I am actually trying to create a product which can be mass produced, so putting a Raspberry Pi might not be feasible.

You can get cheap Bluetooth modules that have a serial interface for less than $5. Just about every microcontroller would be able to interface to it, take your pick.
Can I use a microntroller as small as an ATTiny along with a bluetooth to UART module, such as hm 11, to interface with the android device?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't see why not. If the ATTiny should run out of pins, RAM, or FLASH you can easily upgrade to an ATMega. Which ATTiny did you have in mind?

BtoomBoom

Joined Mar 31, 2015
I am a noob to practical electronics so I don't know which one would be best suitable. What do you recommend?

The project requires only four pins to interface with the L293 H-bridge. The program will be quite small as well, since all it has to do is to output a 4 digit truth table on those pins, based upon data from the Android device.

Is HM 11 the best BT module for the project?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've never used a Bluetooth module so I can't say. I have used lots of Atmel processors and I find they are capable, reliable, and have excellent datasheets. They are easy to program and debug with the available tools. They do tend to require somewhat more codespace than other processors so don't be afraid to have some to spare.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Since you're asking for suggestions I'll assume you've never use a microcontroller. In which case, you should probably use something easy like a PICAXE.

There are plenty of places online to get a HC-05 or HC-06 Bluetooth module. If you just need one-way communication get whichever is cheapest. The HC-05 can be master or slave, whereas the HC-06 can only be slave.