want a better range ir circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by nazish, Nov 16, 2010.

1. nazish

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    hi,
    i m student of BS engg. i want to make a an ir circuit whose range must be greater then 5m....... plz help me out.. i want a complete circuit diagram transmitter and receiver circuit also with a little discription from which i can understand functioning of circuit as i am new...... plz help me........

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A place to start would be looking at the function/datasheet of the Sharp Long Range IR sensor, which measures distances up to 5 feet.

Going out to 5 meters would require ultrasonic from what I have dealt with, unless the object at ~17ft is a mirror.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Most AV remote controls work to this distance, and virtually all are IR based. Perhaps ultrasonic is better at that range for the hobbyist, but certainly IR is a workable technology.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009

My bad.

I read "Range must be greater than 5m" as being a distance measurement device. DOH!

If this is an IR signaling device, with a transmitter at one end, receiver on the other end, then 5m can be done.

Obvious noise to filter for is sunlight, Televisions/monitors, and fluorescent lights.

5. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Always amazing how little effort students want to put into their assignments.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can't you remember what it's like being a college student? No free time, and if you had free time, you'd spend it doing things college students do. :rolleyes:

I agree that a lack of persistence seems to be chronic in this forum, but I'm willing to cut 'em some slack. Some. ;)

7. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    I agree totally. Especially considering MOST TV remotes will do 5m easily.