Wallet thickness exercise

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
12096149_10153588114901192_3610835458664725246_n.jpg

Wallet A is 1" thin.
Wallet B is twice as thin as wallet A.
Write a mathematical expression describing the thinness of Wallet B, solve. Show all work.

Extra credit:
Wallet A costs $100 in department stores.
Wallet B is not available in stores but if you act now, can be ordered by phone for the low low price of twice as less as the competitor Wallet A.
solve for the price of Wallet B.
But Wait! If you order now, you get a second twice as thin wallet!
now, solve for the price of Wallet B (A) and Wallet B (B).
but that's not all! If you order in the next 30 seconds you'll also receive a can of aerosol tar spray and 6 lint free cloths, and on qualifying orders, a bucket of imitation sea shells.
Solve for the price of all that crap individually.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Man, you guys are killing me. I waited 45min for this commercial to come back around so I could take a picture of a wallet advertised as "twice as thin" instead of "half as thick. " I thought we could all jump on it and talk about how stupid the world must be in order for something like this to be scripted, recorded, edited, approved by the advertising firm, signed off on by the network, and played on repeat for days to a nationwide audience, without anybody catching the flub.

Since that didn't happen, I am starting to doubt my own grasp of the English language. I'm not crazy, am I? Is it not the same as saying "twice as less" as opposed to "half as much"?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Man, you guys are killing me. I waited 45min for this commercial to come back around so I could take a picture of a wallet advertised as "twice as thin" instead of "half as thick. " I thought we could all jump on it and talk about how stupid the world must be in order for something like this to be scripted, recorded, edited, approved by the advertising firm, signed off on by the network, and played on repeat for days to a nationwide audience, without anybody catching the flub.

Since that didn't happen, I am starting to doubt my own grasp of the English language. I'm not crazy, am I? Is it not the same as saying "twice as less" as opposed to "half as much"?
I tried a thread where I discussed the phrase, "ten times less". Nobody bit on that one either. I thought this would have been the perfect audience to laugh about how "10 times less" would be negative 9 times the base value - a nonsense quantity. For some reason, the whole crowd wanted to side with the advertisers and thought 10 times less was a perfectly normal number. Just like your example, it is nonsense. I liked it but I was waiting for some other comments but... Apparently others think this is clear and accurate conversation.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I buy my wallets from Rainbow Wallets in California. They originated the nylon wallet in the late 1970's and they still make the best. Thickness varies with content, just like people's minds.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A local ad here (Radio) promises customers will "save 50% less" by shopping at Shappas.

I think I want to save more when I shop. Not less!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When advertisers demonstrate this much ignorance, I don't bother to argue. It wouldn't get them to quit acting stupid and spectators might not know which of us is the bigger fool.

Here is another example: I was looking for something in Winn-Dixie supermarket. There were six different brands labeled with cents per ounce, dollars per pound, Euros per kilogram, Yens per liter, bucks per serving...

At one point I looked at the products differently and realized they were all 32 ounces for $1.79
I said, "When a store works this hard to obscure the information I need, they don't deserve my money." I have never gone back to a Winn-Dixie store in the several years since that experience.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Most of the Albertson's stores closed in Colorado Springs a decade or so ago and I went to the final close-out sale of the one that was about a block from my house.

They had a stand of canned tuna near the checkout. The regular price was $0.25, but they were offering them on closeout at the amazing price of 3/$1. Both prices were prominently shown on the sales banner and people were actually grabbing three cans and buying them. Seeing an opportunity, I set down the handful of items that I had been going to buy (none of which were any great bargain) and grabbed three cans, too, but I insisted that she charge me the regular price. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to save money by taking advantage of the sales price and when I asked her how much three cans at the normal price were the she couldn't figure it out. But she also couldn't figure out how to not apply the sale price since it was in the computer, so she called over the manager and the manager couldn't understand why I wanted to pay the "higher" normal price, either. But at least he knew how to force the computer to ring it up as a miscellaneous merchandise at $0.25 each but then was baffled by the fact that, even with tax, three cans at full price was less than a dollar. So I asked the him why a $0.25 coin was called a quarter and he had no idea. So I pulled one out of my pocket and showed him where the back says "QUARTER DOLLAR" and he still couldn't put two and two together. So I asked how many quarts of milk there are in a half gallon. Blank stare. So finally I said, "Oh, this is the wrong kind of tuna. I need my money back. But you only have to refund it based on the sales price." I figured that would get through, but he was happy to refund it at the "lower" sales price.

I no longer wondered why they were going out of business.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Back to the original topic:

Considering we are all geeks, isn't a fat wallet a necessity for picking up chicks?
Not at all. A thin wallet containing a single piece of plastic with a sufficiently high available credit will work just fine.