Wall Warts ER

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I disagree. Measuring real circuits and seeing what they do is so reasonable that people do it every day.

Most of the requests on this site are for practical, working circuits, as opposed to detailed mathematical models of things that can be analysed in a dozen different ways. Your requests are so general that a proper answer would require several pages on a dozen different aspects of each circuit. Being more specific would help.

A seemingly simple wall wart can be modeled as a DC supply with a resistance in series. It can be modeled with respect to the magnetics inside it and how they vary from ideal. It can be modeled in the frequency spectrum. Even the wire from the wall wart to the circuit board can be modeled as a high frequency delay line.

I suggest you get started. You have a lot of work ahead of you!

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I disagree. Measuring real circuits and seeing what they do is so reasonable that people do it every day.

Most of the requests on this site are for practical, working circuits, as opposed to detailed mathematical models of things that can be analysed in a dozen different ways. Your requests are so general that a proper answer would require several pages on a dozen different aspects of each circuit. Being more specific would help.

A seemingly simple wall wart can be modeled as a DC supply with a resistance in series. It can be modeled with respect to the magnetics inside it and how they vary from ideal. It can be modeled in the frequency spectrum. Even the wire from the wall wart to the circuit board can be modeled as a high frequency delay line.

I suggest you get started. You have a lot of work ahead of you!
Ugh, you're probably right. But still, any input on the problem? It doesn't seem like the voltage source with a series resistor model is very accurate, why not?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Have you measured one? How does it vary from the model of a voltage source with a series resistance, and by how much does it vary? Is that enough to say the simple model is not useable?

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Have you measured one? How does it vary from the model of a voltage source with a series resistance, and by how much does it vary? Is that enough to say the simple model is not useable?
I got this from the forum. It's a bunch of wall-wart data. Theoretically, using the series resistor model, the current drawn and the voltage dropped should be proportional. Sometimes, on some of the data collected, that seems to be fairly accurate, but some are just all over the place. Maybe it has to do with the fact that some wall-warts are regulated and/or have internal circuitry involved, thus giving them complex load characteristics. That's sorta the mystery I'm trying to solve.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I got this from the forum. It's a bunch of wall-wart data. Theoretically, using the series resistor model, the current drawn and the voltage dropped should be proportional. Sometimes, on some of the data collected, that seems to be fairly accurate, but some are just all over the place. Maybe it has to do with the fact that some wall-warts are regulated and/or have internal circuitry involved, thus giving them complex load characteristics. That's sorta the mystery I'm trying to solve.
Certainly if it's regulated or not makes a difference in the model.

A non-regulated one can likely be fairly accurately modeled for most purposes as an ideal voltage source in series with a resistor.

A regulated one can likely be modeled as an ideal voltage source in series with a (typically very small) resistor with a switch-over to a current limit at some over-current point. At that point the current stays relatively constant and the voltage drops directly with any reduction in the load resistance beyond the limit point.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One thing you are missing, most wall warts are different. The huge numbers of types, starting with simple transformers and ending with high power switching regulated types, means there is no universal model.

You are better dealing with the approximation in the end.