Wall mounted LCD TV powered by UPS??

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lkimble, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lkimble

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    New poster here, and what a plethora of material available here - I'm hoping to learn a good deal.

Ok, I recently hung an LED LCD TV on a wall, which would normally require a wired 120v power recepticle behind the TV. Since I wanted to protect against surges and outages, I wired up a "pass-through" recepticle behind the TV that simply connected wire-to-wire with another recepticle nearer to the floor. I then powered the outlets by creating a male-to-male adapter that ran from the floor mounted UPS (powered by a regular outlet on the floor) to the first pass-through recepticle, which then powered the outlet behind the TV. Now this works just fine, though is clearly non-standard and I felt like it was something that I'd be embarrassed to show an electrician, so I thought I'd ask the group for their feedback. The alternative methods that I've seen involved cutting a hole in the wall and passing cables through to below, but I felt this to be uneloquent as well. Any comments/suggestions would be welcome!
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    The male-to-male adapter is very dangerous, as live mains power will be on the male plug when removed from the outlet. Since you are using a UPS, the male plug can still be live even though all of the breakers have been turned off.

You need to make certain that any/all live outlets are female receptacles.

Please correct this very dangerous situation as soon as possible.
  3. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Why would you want a TV on a UPS? Most UPS are not sine wave and your TV may not like a modified square wave or worse source. A decent surge suppressor is all you need.