Wall mounted LCD TV powered by UPS??

lkimble

Joined Mar 28, 2010
New poster here, and what a plethora of material available here - I'm hoping to learn a good deal.

Ok, I recently hung an LED LCD TV on a wall, which would normally require a wired 120v power recepticle behind the TV. Since I wanted to protect against surges and outages, I wired up a "pass-through" recepticle behind the TV that simply connected wire-to-wire with another recepticle nearer to the floor. I then powered the outlets by creating a male-to-male adapter that ran from the floor mounted UPS (powered by a regular outlet on the floor) to the first pass-through recepticle, which then powered the outlet behind the TV. Now this works just fine, though is clearly non-standard and I felt like it was something that I'd be embarrassed to show an electrician, so I thought I'd ask the group for their feedback. The alternative methods that I've seen involved cutting a hole in the wall and passing cables through to below, but I felt this to be uneloquent as well. Any comments/suggestions would be welcome!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The male-to-male adapter is very dangerous, as live mains power will be on the male plug when removed from the outlet. Since you are using a UPS, the male plug can still be live even though all of the breakers have been turned off.

You need to make certain that any/all live outlets are female receptacles.

Please correct this very dangerous situation as soon as possible.

Why would you want a TV on a UPS? Most UPS are not sine wave and your TV may not like a modified square wave or worse source. A decent surge suppressor is all you need.