Waht size is this capacitor?

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello,

I always have trouble reading the values of small tantalum capacitors.

On the capacitor it clearly say: "u47 35"

But when I measure it with a multi meter it reads 485nano farad???

So what is the real value of such a capacitor...

Please view pics for details!!!!

thanks!
r

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's pretending to be 47uf at 35 volts, and it's way too big to be 47nf, so I would have to assume it's broken.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
#12, I think the 'u' coming before the 47 is symbolizing 0.47μF, which is equal to 470nF. The 'u' just symbolizes a package type, tolerance, or manufacturer (not sure which in this case). I think it's a 0.47μF, 35 volt capacitor, and the measurements seem to support that conclusion.

Best wishes,
Matt

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
#12, I think the 'u' coming before the 47 is symbolizing 0.47μF, which is equal to 470nF. The 'u' just symbolizes a package type, tolerance, or manufacturer (not sure which in this case). I think it's a 0.47μF, 35 volt capacitor, and the measurements seem to support that conclusion.
ah yes! this makes sense... I don't why they can't just add a "." in front of the 47???

Thanks so much guys... your help is appreciated!
r

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Like my signature says, sometimes I'm wrong.
But from the size, I'd expect 4.7 uf, not .47 uf.
Oh well. We all get fooled once in a while.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Like my signature says, sometimes I'm wrong.
But from the size, I'd expect 4.7 uf, not .47 uf.
Oh well. We all get fooled once in a while.
I meant no offense, #12. I could very well be wrong as well. ;)

I have had students use those types of capacitors in their lab experiments here, and I have put together their "kits". Most of the ones I've handed out have been 1μF or below, which is what made me wonder if that's what it was.

Best wishes,
Matt

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No ruffled feathers here. Just taking responsibility for putting up a dubious answer. The other option is to let it stand and have people wonder if I still believe it's right. Better to be clear about it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is most definitely 0.47μF or 470nF as confirmed by the meter.

We discussed this in a previous thread. The μ takes the place of the decimal point because the "dot" is easily missed in a photocopier, scanner or fax, besides other places.

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Its rare I use capacitors for other than power rail filters. In this case I did an RC circuit and that particular cap did the job. So I think too that it is a 0.47uF... now that you guys have brought up good points.

Thanks all for your help!
r

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
There's no "thinking" needed. :)

As MrChips said u47 is a standard industry code for 0.47uF, it can be relied upon.