W2's Anyone's shown up yet

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Just thought I'd start a thread so people can say when their W2's came in. I know with all the modifications they mad last minute a bunch of people are supposed to get their tax returns up to 2-4 months late. As of today, no W2 in my box.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What's a W2 exactly?

If it's about the tax return, boy have I a story to tell...

We did the last tax form, early last year for the financial year of 2009. The tax return came in about August, saying that the IRS owed us almost about 4000 euros, but due to this sum being over a certain ceiling (1000 euros I think), the IRS would re-check the return form.
3 months had gone by and still no word. My father suggested I paid them a visit to find out what was going on. So I went early in December and asked a clerk sitting in front. She punched some keys in the computer and said I should go to the annex that we lived 3 years ago. No connection with the current form at all. I was doubtful and went in to talk to a supervisor. There we discovered that the clerk had read the wrong part of the PC screen!
She then searched for my form and found it stashed in a cabinet along with other, discarded as wrongly filled. There it was sitting for 3 months and no-one told us that there was something wrong with it! It seems that my father had included conservatory and driving lessons receits in the tax form and for some reason they don't count.
I had to make a correctional application and file it.
2 months later and the correctional applications haven't been assessed yet, I check the day before yesterday. The supervisor says she may pass through them next month.

Yes, people, if we delay payments, we lose our house. If the government delays its payment, we have to go and remind it of its debts.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is a USA thing dealing with income tax. It is the form the company sends to show the money you earned from them. Anyone who had paid you money is supposed to send you one, and it is required to be a part of the tax forms you send in.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The W2 is for employees to report wages. The other form is a "1099". There are several types. They are used to report non-wage income, e.g., income from stocks, bonds, unemployment, interest, etc. The list is endless. Fully retired people do not have W-2's, but they will have at least one 1099.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, people, if we delay payments, we lose our house. If the government delays its payment, we have to go and remind it of its debts.
That is true in spades here. For example in California, many vendors to the state, like physicians seeing MediCal patients, were paid with promissory notes. Then when California got some money, it paid those notes off at a discount, e.g., for every $100 you got $60. Your choice was to get nothing or take the $60 in full satisfaction of the debt. The Federal government is the same way. When it makes a mistake, you don't even get an apology. When you make a mistake, you pay the amount due plus penalties and interest.

John

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
That is true in spades here. For example in California, many vendors to the state, like physicians seeing MediCal patients, were paid with promissory notes. Then when California got some money, it paid those notes off at a discount, e.g., for every $100 you got $60. Your choice was to get nothing or take the $60 in full satisfaction of the debt. The Federal government is the same way. When it makes a mistake, you don't even get an apology. When you make a mistake, you pay the amount due plus penalties and interest.

John
Sounds like America to me. Luckily I'm too poor for any of this to apply to me. :)

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009

John
Your social security benefits are next..... :D