W10 forcible upgrade

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And here we go... Owner of my company couldn't pass up on a free upgrade to Windows 10 so IT is allowing the upgrade through the system..
All computers here are being updated to Win 10 this week...
I'm one of the "test" dummies... Downloading it now..

Had no problems at home with the upgrade.. Don't expect problems here either..

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Done.. Not a single problem..
All software works, network drives came up, networked printers, etc..
Seems a bit "faster" too..

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I upgraded to win 10 pro from win 7 pro a few weeks ago, turned off all the intrusive apps and have been a happy bunny ever since.
I tested an old H.P printer that there were no win 10 drivers for, but the win 8.1 driver worked fine.
Computer is faster, altogether slicker, and I ran Ccleaner duplicate file finder, removed all the unnecessary junk (which dumped 32Gb from the hard drive) trimmed the ssd and everything is hunky dorey!!!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just a joke I found.
That's interesting. I drag&drop the picture in, it shows up in the dialog box until I click on the button to post it, and it disappears.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@#12 Was it your original work or a copyrighted picture? Presumably you are using Win10 Maybe there was some sort of hidden copyright code that Win 10 recognizes?

Here's a cut and paste test image with Win7:
upload_2016-7-18_5-59-26.png

John

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@#12 Was it your original work or a copyrighted picture? Presumably you are using Win10
It was a lolcat joke on my computer presently running Ubuntu14.04
Several generations behind Windows 10 and three steps to the left!
I don't know why drag&drop shows the picture in the dialog box, then doesn't show it after I click, "post reply".
Then again, I don't know why I can't right-click a shortcut to Firefox on the desktop.:rolleyes:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There, I did it again. I dragged the joke photo to the dialog box, and tried, "preview". The picture was there, so I clicked on "post" and the joke disappeared. It's 34k of jpeg. Not an allowed format? Nope. It's allowed.
So I did, "upload a file, dragged the picture there, and it is now listed as one of "My attachments".
Let's see if the extra steps got it to upload.

Attachments

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Following the success I had with installing Win 10 on my laptop,I thought I'd upgrade my desktop that I built in 2011, It was near top spec at the time and I used it mainly for photo editing. I installed Win 10, and it ran faster and no probs at all.
I was in my local computer store and they were having a sale of SSD's and I picked up a Sandisk 480 Gb pro at a knock down price. Using Macrium reflect, I cloned the hard drive disconnected the original but left it in the case, swapped the ssd to port 1 on the motherboard and now it's lightning fast!! Literally 3 or four times faster.
Previously, Adobe CS 6 took 20 seconds to load, now it is up and running in less than 5 secs.
So, from my experience, Apart from the need to configure Win 10 (which is easy really) I think they have the best operating system so far.
X.P pro was good, Win 7 pro was very good, Win 10 is excellent (for me)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That is great news that Win10 works so well. Whether it works or not is important. We know it works.

Is it really free? Here's a news report about someone who used a "free" blog hosting service and lost 14-years of work overnight: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/19/google-takes-down-mans-blog-erasing-14-years-work.html

Have the TOS for Win10 been changed to allow the user to opt out of paying for any and all upgrades?

Whether you might someday meet the analogous fate of the above blogger is the only question to me at this point. What if you miss a payment and your OS shuts down some morning. Are your files and other information still readable by Win7?

John

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Well the simple answer to that is to back up important files. M.S issued a notice that they will not be charging for updates. I cloned my H.D to a spare one BEFORE I upgraded just in case of problems. After upgrading, you have a month to roll back to Win 7 provided that you don't run programs like ccleaner and remove the Win old folder, although this is irrelevant if you have cloned the drive to another HDD. Macrium reflect is free to download and does an excellent job. Another useful free tool is Partion Wizard.
Remember that the FREE upgrade to win 10 ends at the end of July.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
When I bought my computer several months ago it had Win 10 which I didn't like. Reverted to Win 7 Pro which runs great.
Yesterday I thought I would give Win 10 another try before the cut off date.
This time it didn't recognize my 3 monitor setup and the screen resolution was really bad.
I regretted updating and reverted back to Win 7 again.
No problems, but now a prompt on the screen saying I had a unregistered version of windows.
Googling this problem, it appears that Win 10 deletes the registry
location that has your Win7 registration after about 1 month.
It had been more than a month since the original Win 10 installation.
Luck for me, I had a image backup of the system from before the Win 10 try.
This image saved me.
Never again will I try win 10 - It's just not what I want.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
When I bought my computer several months ago it had Win 10 which I didn't like. Reverted to Win 7 Pro which runs great.
This time it didn't recognize my 3 monitor setup and the screen resolution was really bad.
No problems, but now a prompt on the screen saying I had a unregistered version of windows.
This image saved me.

Did You try to re-set the display settings? maybe you have a video card that needs an updated driver for win10.
You can always run Win 10 with Classic shell so that it runs like Win 7.

BelleFixer

Joined Jul 21, 2016
It tried doing that to mine too. Opened my PC and said that it's updating. Took so long that I just decided to turn the AVR off and went I checked the updates history it said that Upgrade to Windows 10 has failed. I hate that it was trying to force me to install it so I got GWX and no problem ever since.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This image saved me.
Nothing wrong with that really other than you probably just got fed up way too quickly and didn't even give it a chance to correct it...
After my Win10 upgrade the resolution was also incorrect as it runs driver version checks and may disable the driver upon initial startup and will then check for a new driver and update it..
After a few minutes it notified me that the correct driver had been installed and I simply needed to restart my system for the changes to take effect.. Done

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008