W10 forcible upgrade

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
So far I have been able to repel the barbarians at the gate. I have blacklisted about two dozen KB patches and removed the ones that snuck onto my machine with DISM -- an awesome tool. Fortunately it was just GWX and the preparation updates. AFAIK Windows 10 has not been installed on any of my machines. I'll smash the hard drive with a hammer if any of them succumb to the virus.
Agree do not use this upgrade. GWX blew up outlook and ie at my customers computers. Removing them drive to and back very costly and MS is not paying. I moved to Linux for all critical applications no problem.
MS always problems! it seems to need to be tweaked for each identical hw system and on top -----> NO free Support so WE have to PAY for problems created by their software engineers.

Picbuster

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
the more i read about win 10, forget any privacy you have. they farm personal information, browsing history, passwords (i'd say also include login names with that)
and then they decide to share that information with your contacts? a lot of the 'sharing and caring' options can be turned off but not all in win10

not buying it, even if they give it away for free.

pardon me, they are giving it away for free for another month

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I know I'm going against the grain here, but I installed Windows 10 on my Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop without a significant hitch. All my programs and drivers still worked.
I did it mainly to avoid possible obsolescence issues with Windows 7 and 8 in the future.

The only odd thing is that my desktop keeps restarting itself when I leave it in the Sleep or Hibernate mode overnight.
In the morning it's on even though I turned it off the night before.
So far, going in and trying to disable the automatic-on features hasn't helped.

Edit: I gave up and just turn the AC power off to the computer at night.
Now it will have to reach out and mechanically turn the switch back on if it wants to restart itself. ;)

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
To tell you the truth, I consider Windows 10 as the loudest invitation yet by Mircosoft for me to finally start exploring the Linux alternative...

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The only odd thing is that my desktop keeps restarting itself when I leave it in the Sleep or Hibernate
My lappy sometimes turns itself on. Presumably some scheduled event takes place. I've tried cancelling some of those and disabling all the default 'phone home' and auto-updates that apps love to do.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
At the prompting of @crutschow , I must admit to upgrading two Windows 7 laptops (one personal; one work) to Windows 10 and having no problems that I can remember. I did disable some of the intrusive software per an online article, but other than that, run a vanilla Windows 10 upgrade. I'm satisfied...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I guess you guys are OK with W10's bandwidth (that you pay for) consuming habits to phone home about who knows what. Don't be surprised if one or more accounts ends up getting drained if your machine can be remotely turned on and off. Drivers and applications were never ever the issue. Why do people keep bringing this up?

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Windows 7 was the best OS that MS ever produced. It will be the last MS product I ever use.

I now very carefully review all updates before installing and often run GWX control panel after updating just in case. For many computers owned by non tech savvy people that I have to look after I just disable updates completely. Job done!

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I totally agree that win 7 has been a really good operating system. I have win 7 pro on my desktop and a samsung laptop, win 7 home on another laptop, and win 7 starter on a little notebook. Over the last 7 or eight years I have had very few problems, and when I have, they are quickly resolved.
Now I have a question for those in the know. As the free upgrade to win 10 is due to end in June, it has made me wonder how long MS are likely to support win 7?
Should I consider upgrading one of the lesser important laptops to see how it goes, and if so, should I,
A) Make a full back up and system image first, OR,
B) Clone the hard drive with some program like "reflect" or another someone has experience with so if the worst happens, I still have a working PC.
C) Does anyone know if classic shell works well with win10
Any advice will be appreciated :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I guess you guys are OK with W10's bandwidth (that you pay for) consuming habits to phone home about who knows what. Don't be surprised if one or more accounts ends up getting drained if your machine can be remotely turned on and off. Drivers and applications were never ever the issue.
What kind of a internet plan do you have that you are limited to "X" amount of bandwidth? Thats goofy.. Sucks to be you..
Or is it that sound of your 56k modem that you don't like grandpa :p

I pay for the maximum speed limit ($35 for 50Mbps, $65 for 300Mbps,etc..) and have NO cap on any bandwidth limit.. Its not like old phone data plans..
I wasn't aware that they even have capped plans for home internet..

And all OS's have ALWAYS "phoned home" to check for updates etc... Programs do the same.. virus software updates itself.. ,etc...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Its not a Win 10 problem; its a social media problem. Suddenly, everything is very transparent (or appears to be so) and social media will indiscriminately give an audience to anyone with an opinion. And about that "or appears to be so". Social media also gives voice to falsehoods, exaggerations or unsubstantiated claims and y its very nature legitimizes expression of thos opinions.

Does Win 10 work for me? Yes.
Is it critically using up my bandwidth? No.
Are any of my critical computing applications broken because of it? No.
Do I like it? As long as it works for me, sure!

Here are some unsubstantiated opinions of my own:
Is Win 10 more intrusive than my smart phone? No.
Is Win 10 more intrusive than the proliferation of surveillance cameras? No.
I could think of many others, but I am getting tired of typing.

My underlying point is that Win 10 worries may be misplaced concern.
The larger question is where the changes in our culture are leading us?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Its not a Win 10 problem; its a social media problem. Suddenly, everything is very transparent (or appears to be so) and social media will indiscriminately give an audience to anyone with an opinion. And about that "or appears to be so". Social media also gives voice to falsehoods, exaggerations or unsubstantiated claims and y its very nature legitimizes expression of thos opinions.

Does Win 10 work for me? Yes.
Is it critically using up my bandwidth? No.
Are any of my critical computing applications broken because of it? No.
Do I like it? As long as it works for me, sure!

Here are some unsubstantiated opinions of my own:
Is Win 10 more intrusive than my smart phone? No.
Is Win 10 more intrusive than the proliferation of surveillance cameras? No.
I could think of many others, but I am getting tired of typing.

My underlying point is that Win 10 worries may be misplaced concern.
The larger question is where the changes in our culture are leading us?
My issue with win 10 has to do with personal privacy only. The rest of it seems to be just fine.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have three issues:
1) Personal privacy
2) All updates are mandatory
3) You have no control over the potential expense for updates

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

upload_2016-5-20_16-47-56.png

Does anyone have a guarantee that says Microsoft will not charge for those updates in the future, will not charge a basic lease in the future, or will not inactivate your beloved Win 10 the next time you turn your PC on or off just because you did not update or pay for an update?

John

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Well, there's no such guarantee, but can you be sure your beloved Win 7 or whatever doesn't have a back-door to enable M$ to de-activate it remotely if they so desired?