VW "Cheat device"...

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I find the idea that the idea that most of the owners will bring their vehicles in willingly to have them as they will see it detuned to meet the regulations.

Very few people actually buy fun to drive fuel efficient vehicles so they can be 'green'. They buy them to save 'green' at the fuel pumps. That's not that hard of concept to follow.:rolleyes:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The EPA say's it's doesn't understand or needs to understand exactly how VW cheated, only that they pass the test. I find that very hard to believe if you want to expose what they did. They came across as easy to fool clowns in this hearing. No wonder VW thought they could and did fool them for so long.
Why, What, Where is damn important to a investigation.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The EPA say's it's doesn't understand or needs to understand exactly how VW cheated, only that they pass the test. I find that very hard to believe if you want to expose what they did. They came across as easy to fool clowns in this hearing. No wonder VW thought they could and did fool them for so long.
I for one am already getting reasons to suspect that the EPA may have had other brands and models tested by now and have found they too also are cheating in one way or another which if so logically could put them in a world of hurt relating to their jobs and authority on regulations.

If it starts looking like that the big growling EPA watchdog showing itself to be dumber than a box of rocks and that it doesn't have the teeth and claws take on the auto industry as a whole on what it does all it's barking about the best thing to do is for it to keep its mouth shut and act nice for a while.

The thing is if it is found that almost all automakers are cheating and they decide to collectively tell the EPA to take their latest rounds of regulations and go stuff themselves it won't be long before the power industry and every other industry pulls together and does the same.
If that happens there is a very large part of our collective governments that could seriously be looking at having their backdoor under the table political/financial backers and supporters pull the rug out from under them reversing the tables on who keeps their jobs because of whom.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Were those statements describing the test procedure? The procedure was heavily negotiated by congress and lobbied by the automotive industry. It is not a scientifically sound test - it is a politically acceptable test (very different). Additionally, the EPA was specifically ordered not to do special testing without clear evidence of foul play - for fear of unfairly targeting one manufacturer over another. They are more about collecting documents and setting rules and standard tests - not about enforcement until someone outside of their department blows a whistle.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Were those statements describing the test procedure? The procedure was heavily negotiated by congress and lobbied by the automotive industry. It is not a scientifically sound test - it is a politically acceptable test (very different). Additionally, the EPA was specifically ordered not to do special testing without clear evidence of foul play - for fear of unfairly targeting one manufacturer over another. They are more about collecting documents and setting rules and standard tests - not about enforcement until someone outside of their department blows a whistle.
I understand that normally but they seem to be doing the same thing now with them under oath saying they designed it to cheat from the start and never had a legal version of the software. I would demand VW show me every line of code for the cheat device along with the people who wrote it before any negotiations about a 'fix' or they would never be able to sell a spoon in this country.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I understand that normally but they seem to be doing the same thing now with them under oath saying the designed it to cheat from the start and never had a legal version of the software. I would demand VW show me every line of code for the cheat device along with the people who wrote it before any negotiations about a 'fix' or they would never be able to sell a spoon in this country.
Yes, then I misunderstood your earlier comment. I thought you meant that the EPA where saying they didn't know and didn't want to know if anyone was cheating before the whistleblower.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The statements from rep. Chris Collins (R-NY and a engineer) on VW cheating were right on point.
Thanks for pointing this out. The recordings were available on the CSpan website. Collins' statements start at about 1:49 into the meeting if anyone else wants to watch. The Collins comments and the VW CEO's opening comments were only interesting things from my point of view. Most everything else was grandstanding.
http://www.c-span.org/video/?328599-1/hearing-volkswagen-emissions-violations&live

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The EPA say's it's doesn't understand or needs to understand exactly how VW cheated, only that they pass the test.
And the EPA got exactly what it wanted. VW passed the test. WVU confirmed what the Europeans done in an alternative test.

The law, talks about emissions. The regulatory agency talks about passing the tests. When there is a disconnect, the regulatory agency needs to understand ... and "only passing the test" is a cop out by the regulators.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's interesting (but not surprising) that VW is putting all the blame on some hapless software engineers who they say did all this cheating on their own.
Of course none of their managers knew anything about it.
Right, we all believe that. :rolleyes:

As is commonly known, when something goes wrong in a corporation the rule is to:
1) Search for the guilty.
2) Punish the innocent.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It's interesting (but not surprising) that VW is putting all the blame on some hapless software engineers who they say did all this cheating on their own.

As is commonly known, when something goes wrong in a corporation the rule is to:
2) Punish the innocent.
Congressman Collins really hit it. If these mid-level rouge engineers suddenly found a solution to a long-standing problem of the Diesel engine (NOx emissions vs Performance) that no manufacturer could solve, why didn't VW suddenly throw a huge party for them and file patents to lock up the technology? Why didn't any managers ask how they finally solved the enigmatic problem? The answer, they did, they may not have liked the answer, but they pushed the product to market with their eyes wide open!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

2) Punish the innocent.
So predictable and unimaginative. You would think they would have selected the sort of people that really are the cause of evil on the planet like telephone sanitizers, hairdressers and advertising account executives.