VW "Cheat device"...

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by cmartinez, Sep 21, 2015.

1. cmartinez

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  3. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    :eek::confused::confused::confused: Ooops... I wasn't paying attention then... hey, it was Friday when you posted that! Besides... where should your thread really be at, automotive, or off-topic?

Oh well... it seems you've got dibs on this subject anyway... moving my posts to your thread then...

GopherT likes this.
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I think of these forums (General, Projects, Automotive, Programming, etc) are for people who don't know something to ask a question to learn something. And I view the off-topic section to be where someone posts an interesting piece of news and waits for the conversation to morph into one about Global Warming or Gun Control.

JohnInTX, Brownout and cmartinez like this.
  5. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Tell me about it... :rolleyes:

MaxHeadRoom and GopherT like this.
  6. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    And on second thought... maybe you're right... Off-topic is fine for conversations, while all the other forums should be for specific problems that people want to solve

7. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I remember one time I had to make an unscheduled gas stop at a station way out in the sticks.

The proprietor seemed unable/unwilling to explain how I got 15 litres into an 11 litre motorcycle tank.

It gets worse - the previous owner had hidden a lot of dents with bodyfiller, the tank didn't even have room for the 11 litres stated in the manual.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    RamaD and cmartinez like this.
  8. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Gas dispensing fraud is a big problem down here... I'd call it an epidemic of corruption, actually.

9. camerart

Feb 25, 2013
    Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there is a chip in the management computer, that I assume detects if the wheels are rotating or not, and if they aren't it switches to lower tuning where the emissions are good. This gives a good reading for the MOT. Once the wheels are turning it switches to more tuned, less 'green' settings, which if tested while the wheels are rotating i,e, driving, would fail the MOT.

I've heard predictions that once these cars fails their emissions test, the price will drop. If this is true, I assume it would be a good idea to buy a cheap one, and get the chip reprogrammed to be legal. Does this sound feasible?

Camerart.

10. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    The current analysis of this system says that's only a small part of the detection system VW used to switch emissions modes. The people who certify systems for compliance are not completely stupid and check for simple hacks like that because some rather primitive auto makers based in the US tried it before.
    http://www.theicct.org/sites/defaul...WVU_LDDV_in-use_ICCT_Report_Final_may2014.pdf

11. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    about the gas pump discrepancies, I decided with my 95 ford rangers 17 gal tank, that why I sometimes put as many as 21 gal in was that the truck was time traveling, getting gas from the fuure to keep going, then had to pay back by sending the future gas vack to its own time. I never ran out of gas and had to push the truck into the station.

12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Start the weekend party a litle early?

13. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Latest on the news; VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat cars affected, Britain second after Germany for dodgy cars sold.

Big repercussions - fuel consumption and emissions likely to go up on cars when they are corrected, there is the question of tax and duty bands based on these parameters. There are already law suits over cost of ownership being not as advertised.

The manager of one dealership was on the radio describing how he's had to reassure numerous callers that safety isn't compromised and the cars remain roadworthy.

For anyone planning to sell up and buy something else - depreciation is "off a cliff"!

14. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  15. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
  16. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I think if VW ended up making the modification of adding a urea (DEF) injection system to reduce nitrous oxides on their cheating Diesel engines, as all other Diesel vehicle manufacturers have, then the fuel economy and performance are unlikely to take a significant hit.
    The question is whether they will do such an extensive (and expensive) modification to all the VW Diesel vehicles already out there.

It's interesting also, that the VW larger Diesels, such as used in the Touareg, apparently already using the urea injection system. For some reason they decided not to cheat on those.

Brownout likes this.
  17. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It's all about money and not caring a bit about how you get it. Lower the price until the rube buys the “clean diesel” con.

http://www.hybridcars.com/what-led-volkswagen-to-use-emission-cheats/

It's not engineers.
    Engineers are usually smart enough to know they'll be the ones thrown under the bus first.

18. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
  19. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    how about keeping topics not related to circuits in OFF TOPIC?
    unless someone posts schematics of the ECU....

20. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Its easy to stand on the sideline and criticise....................how about you post the schematic?

nsaspook likes this.