volts and amps

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by akathecops, Dec 25, 2013.

1. akathecops

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    hi im jeff and i am new to the computer world. i just have a question about my boat believe it or not. i have a 12v trolling motor and a generator with a 10 amp charger can i run this straight to my motor without harming it.
    thank you and Merry Christmas

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Does your boat is a RC boat?
    How much current(A) does your boat needs?
    How many voltages does your generator can provide?

akathecops likes this.
  3. akathecops

Dec 25, 2013
    no its a small fishing boat. its a 12 volt car battery and the motor is a 12v trolling motor,.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi Jeff. That sounds OK to me.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forums!

akathecops likes this.
  5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    The trolling motor could be damaged if the charger output voltage is too high. Chargers are for charging batteries, and the voltage from a generator charger may be quite a bit higher than 12-13V, which is what the trolling motor is designed for. In addition, you will probably find that that the trolling motor draws more current than the charging circuit can supply.

Are you planning to run a generator in a fishing boat? Just curious.

akathecops likes this.
  6. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    A 30-lb trolling motor will require about 18-19A from your battery or charger when used at high setting. I'm in the process of measuring the actual amperage of my motor, so I'll need to get back to you with the final number, but I'm almost sure that 10A won't be enough. Also, you'll need a 'dumb' battery charger. Some of the newer smart chargers won't put anything out unless they are connected to an actual battery.

I'm doing exactly the same thing with my trolling motor, but haven't got it set up yet. I have a 50A 12V transformer I plan to use.

akathecops likes this.
  7. akathecops

Dec 25, 2013
    wow you people are awesome. i asked the same question at the boat shop and they were not helpful at all. and yes i have a small generator 800watts with a gfci on it. merry christmas.

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    I thought the big advantage of an electric trolling motor was almost silent operation. Won't a generator running crate a lot of vibration and frighen off the fish?

9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    You're absolutely right about that. We use our electric motor for silent operation often. However, one disadvantage of it is limited range. Where we used to go in Florida, it was several miles from our launch site to the area we wanted to be. Using a small generator allows nearly unlimited range.

The trend is to use trolling motors to get very small crafts underway. Aside from fishing, they are used increasingly on small canoes and kayaks. This allows boaters nearly hands-free navigation, as well as a helping hand when paddling into a strong wind or current. I use one on my canoe because a gas motor would completely unbalance the boat. With the trolling motor, I can clamp the motor on the back, and use a battery or generator (or both) in the front of the boat to achieve perfect balance. If I want to sneak up on a fish, I can just turn off the genny and continue on battery power.

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Don't use a car battery. Get yourself a deep-cycle marine battery. And don't use more than about 1/2 of the amp-hour capacity. I'm working on a battery "feul" gauge to report the percentage of battery capacity used.

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I think it would be safer to run the battery charger on the motor if you leave the battery connected across the motor and charger. This way the battery becomes a voltage buffer in case the output voltage of the charger exceeds the max voltage of the motor.

akathecops likes this.
  12. akathecops

Dec 25, 2013
    When u get that can u send me the specs on it that sounds like the ticket. thank you again. email address is <SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  13. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

That's the way I see it.

I only used a trolling motor in a canoe.

14. adamclark

Oct 4, 2013
    if you get a battery, I would recommend a optima group 31 blue top deep cycle marine battery. they can be mounted in any orientation even upside down because of the gelcell technology. the blue top is designed for marine use, but we use them in our high power high spl competition stereo cars. its not uncommon for us to use more than 20 batts. on 36+ amplifiers making more than 100k watts with 4 300a alternators pulling more than 600 amps of current for a 4 second burst. you can even drill a hole though one and it wont leak and will still work.. they discharge slow and recharge relatively fast as opposed to a lead acid battery

15. adamclark

Oct 4, 2013
    oh and I forgot to mention that they are rated for 1200 cca. that's more than twice the cca you will find in any lead acid batt.

16. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010

I am sorry for pointing out the obvious here.

If that battery can output 1200 amps of cold crank amperage, then it definitely does NOT discharge slowly.

That is all. :)

17. akathecops

Dec 25, 2013

18. akathecops

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank you for your help guys. I ran it all weekend on the battery while hooked up to the charger. Awesome days

19. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    That IS awesome. When it gets a little warmer, I'm going to try my genny and 12V power supply running my 30lb motor. I might even try 2 motors in tandem.

20. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Can the gas engine propel the boat?

If so then...

Maybe it's me but it seems awfully inefficient to run a trolling motor off of a generator. Seems far more efficient to add additional batteries, enough for the run time needed. Then charge the batteries while the boat is underway on the gas engine.

You could even add a solar panel to charge the batteries while neither motor is in use.