Voltage tuned xtal oscillator problems

hafrse

Joined Jun 27, 2013
Hello,

I have problems with a voltage tuned 29Mhz xtal oscillator, it has no output signal. Checked the bias of the transitor, all ok, replaced thre transitor, varicap and the x-tal, still the problem exist.
It can be a component that went out of spec. I do not have schemtics but tried to drow the wiring of the oscillator and it is attached. also, desoldered all the caps and took there value by a capacience meter, but values below 20pf can not be measured.

My first question, does this circuit represent a complete 29Mhz Oscillator ? the reason I am asking is that I could have missed other components on the curcuit board beloging to the oscillator. L1 is 560nH.

Description of the circuit:

Input power is 10V
Bias input isalways -5.2.
Tune voltage is 3.72V when the instrument is powered on.
Any hints what I can do or test?

Thanks
George

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can't voltage tune a xtal oscillator. That is what the xtal is for.
Unless you are referring to trimming to 10ppm.

hafrse

Joined Jun 27, 2013
Hello,

I have problems with a voltage tuned 29Mhz xtal oscillator, it has no output signal. Checked the bias of the transitor, all ok, replaced thre transitor, varicap and the x-tal, still the problem exist.
It can be a component that went out of spec. I do not have schemtics but tried to drow the wiring of the oscillator and it is attached. also, desoldered all the caps and took there value by a capacience meter, but values below 20pf can not be measured.

My first question, does this circuit represent a complete 29Mhz Oscillator ? the reason I am asking is that I could have missed other components on the curcuit board beloging to the oscillator. L1 is 560nH.

Input power is 10V

Thanks
George

Corrected circuit uploaded

Attachments

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello,

Input power is 10V

Thanks
George
With a varactor diode, you can only do a minuscule amount of tuning. However..for troubleshooting purposes, bypass the varactor and see if it oscillates.