Voltage tolerances on UK power line

charge

Joined Mar 13, 2010
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find information on how much voltage can be transmitted on the UK home mains line or the tolerance of uk appliances.

I have only been able to find information on the tolerance of the voltage sourcing UK homes (230v +10% - 6%) so I guess they have to be tolerable at least for that range.

Thanks

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
The mains voltage varies from place to place and sometimes by time of day, as the loading varies.

I have a customer who's supply often reaches 258 - 260V.

Remember the UK voltage used to be stated as 240V; the nominal voltage range has been changed for European standardisation but the actual supply is still the same.

The acceptable voltage range for any appliance should be at least the rated range of the UK mains (230 +10% / -6%) for it to be 'fit for purpose' under the sale of goods act, but some items are originally designed for a european 220V supply and may have a shorter life on the UKs 240V system.

More and more items are being made with 'universal' power adaptors rated for 100V to 240V or thereabouts, so theoretically they can be used anywhere in the world without problems.

The tolerance range of any specific device should be marked on it's rating plate or label.