Voltage regulator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by octebra, Jul 4, 2009.

1. octebra

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Hi everyone i'm from Australia and I have a question, I hope someone can help me. I have just purchesed a VAWG that produces upto 15 amps at a maximum of 100v DC, I am worried that if it produces that voltage that it will damage my deep cycle battery. Has anyone any ideas as to how I can ensure this does not happen. All of the regulator I looked at only accept upto 36v which does not seem enough. Is it possible to buid a regulator using a triac. I hope someone can help, thanking you in advance.
    Regards octebra.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

A triac will only work with AC, when used on DC a firing pulse will turn it on but it will never go off again.

Can you post a drawing of what you want to try to do?

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Using traics to built battery chargers is a very unusual way. :confused:

As far as I know there are 3 ways to control a charging in a deep cycles, either in CV or CC.

One is using PWM as in SMPS
    Second is using a series pass element to control the out put
    The third and my favorite is using SCR's in the rectifier to control the charging of SLA or LA's

Traics is a no no no!! :eek:

And when it comes to building,your knowledge on power electronics is very important

Rifaa

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
  5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    What about LM723, I think they are well designed and cheap as a regulator, and can operate in either CV or CC. But you have to use Power transistors as series element.

Rifaa

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Yes, a past colleague used the same IC in a high voltage input regulator - many moons ago. Added a series power device.

I think your earlier suggestion of the switch mode route makes more sense - handling the series pass power in a linear regulator might be prohibitive - especially if using high charging currents at rated output from VAWG.

I'm not sure if the OP [Octebra] is looking for an off-the-shelf solution. Agreed with your observation about necessary experience with power electronic design & construction if it's do-it-yourself.

Appreciate your thoughts and enthusiasm for the forum.

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey , why else would I be here. :D
    You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours but I did not mean that literally:p

Rifaa