voltage regulator LM-317T

parisathena

Joined Feb 22, 2011
"Having such a switch is not recommended practice"
Are you saying that having a DPDT switch is not a recommended practice? If that what you mean then it is true as that how we reverse motors.

Thank you.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
When using your power supply as a dedicated and directly wired motor control such a switch is OK.

I thought the discussion had expanded to a supply in a box that could be used to control a motor or something else and I was referring to such a box that others might be considering.

Remember, however that if you do this that you cannot earth either pole of the supply in this arrangement.

I remember being asked to construct a train controller once that had one pot control so that the centre position represented stop and if turned one way the train went forwards and if turned the other way it went backwards.

This was achieved by driving a complementary pair of power transistor emitter followers from a 741 (yes we really used them in those days) in a DC configuration.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
"Having such a switch is not recommended practice"
Are you saying that having a DPDT switch is not a recommended practice? If that what you mean then it is true as that how we reverse motors.

Thank you.
Unless your power supply is dedicated to parts that can't be damaged by reverse polarity, you should not have the reversing switch associated with the power supply. For example, if you were to use it to power an electronic circuit, accidentally reversing the voltage will generally destroy some of the parts in the circuit.
In fact, instantaneously reversing the power to a running motor may damage the motor or the switch or the power supply, or even all three of them.