Voltage Regulator IC with 1.5A out?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by skybox, Aug 18, 2009.

1. skybox

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi guys,

I am looking for an IC, surface mount, that will give me about 3.3 V out and can at least supply 1.5A current out. I found the LM723 that can provide max of 10A out with transistors. Can anyone point me the right direction on how I can amplify the current? I am assuming I will have to put some emitter followers in series but just want to make sure. Thanks :)

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    10A is quite a bit of current. How much more do you need?

3. skybox

Mar 2, 2009
    Looking at my design calculations, I'll need about 1A current max if everything is running at the same time. I have very little real estate on my PC board and looked at recommended design for the LM723 and it seems like it'll take the same amount of switch as the PT78ST100 series switching regulator from TI, so I might just go with that as it has a max current output of 1.5A.

Thanks!

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you're willing to use transistors a LM317 would work. Check the datasheet.

5. skybox

Mar 2, 2009
    Hey thanks guys.

Bill - I think this might work out well. The IC has a guaranteed output current of 1.5 A. Seems like all I need to do is set up resistor values for an output voltage I need (3.0 - 3.6 V).