Voltage regulator help

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I was curious about the lack of availability of the Bosch RE55, and after searching for awhile it appears that they are made in Australia, and are mainly used Downunder and in the UK. However, I also found references to the Transpo IB301A, which is made in USA, and used for replacements in some European vehicles.
One thread referencing both is here: http://fjyahoo.gfm.net:443/list.php?action=message&message=122016
Another: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=3539.0;imode

In the last thread, one fellow suggested this supplier: http://cpgenerator.com/voltageregulators.html
listed under "12 VOLT BOSCH ADJUSTABLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR ITEM# IB301A", $36.95.
However, there is also listed above that entry:
"12 VOLT BOSCH SOLID STATE VOLTAGE REGULATOR ITEM# VRB191" for $19.90; it has the same 3 Prong connector - DF D+ D-; but is not adjustable like the 301A is. Just my opinion, but an exposed trimpot on a bike isn't such a great idea.

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If you look at the pic Sarge, the reg had a metal removable cover over the electronics & trim pot in the one I dismantled. & the track side of the board was covered in resin & took some removing. So if he makes a copy it will need to be mounted in a small box of some sort. The VRB 191 looks like the RE55 Bosch.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, it looks to me like the VRB191 at $19.90 USD and available here is pretty attractive, and a ready-made solution. I don't think it's going to get much easier or cheaper than that.

Also found another Transpo IB301A image on this page:
http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.aspx?part=IB301A
It's handy because it shows the terminals and what they are:

[eta]
After doing some more searches, it appears that waiglobal may be the "official" Transpo distribution site.
Transpo USA
Florida - WAIglobal Orlando
3063 Mercy Drive
Orlando, FL 32808
Tel: 407-292-8055
Toll Free: 1-800-773-0005

Son of a gun, I used to work a few blocks from there.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, the preset version will cause the alternator to output somewhere around 14v, apparently. It's about half the price of the adjustable version.

The adjustable version has an exposed trim potentiometer. While this adjustment might be handy for those who like to fiddle with things, it's also a liability, as pots are not as reliable as fixed resistors - and being exposed, it provides an entry point for water, mud, gas, oil, acid, crud, and whatever else Mother Nature and the road can throw at it.

If you decide to get the adjustable version, I'd suggest setting the voltage and then use some RTV silicone to seal the pot.

neo8222

Joined Mar 29, 2011
plus my friend like to go tot he side of cheap first second and third then if all else fails buy the expensive one after the cheap one breaks.. so i guess it's going to be the preset.

and let me check to make sure i got it right, that picture i posted on the 1st page showing the way the factory alternator is wired, i take the wire going to connection F and join it to connection DF on the regulator. the second wire front the field coil gets attached the the back of the rectifier (E connection). then the D+ is connected to the brown wire for battery power, and D- is grounded right?

neo8222

Joined Mar 29, 2011
ok the regulator showed up today and i got the wrong one too haha. i ordered the VRB191 but instead got the IB301A. free upgrade! :D install was fairly simple, hooked the DF terminal to one side of the field coil, connected the other side of the field coil to the back of the rectifier, D+ to power and D- to ground. the bike is to loud to fire it up now (midnight) so tomorrow morning ill start it and see if it's charging.

neo8222

Joined Mar 29, 2011
It's Multisim 10.1 by National Instruments. I used it in class and I really liked it so my teacher helped me out and got me a copy of it. Great program once you learn it.

Also the bosch type regulator you suggested worked great. Got it installed and it powered up right away and was charging right where it should be. Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure I'll stick around here and see if I can learn some more.