Voltage reduction?

snowdrifter

Joined Aug 13, 2013
^^Yessir that picture is accurate

Where and how? I disconnected the positive lead to the volt meter, set my multi meter to milliamps and observed the current draw during use.

Specs are listed as 130 milliseconds from lowest reading to highest reading

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think those are going to meet his accuracy requirments over the temperature range he is looking at.

My guess at why the meter draws so much more current than a voltmeter "should" is that this is being powered by the voltage it is measuring, isn't it. In other words, it has no internal battery and no external power connection. Is that correct?

snowdrifter

Joined Aug 13, 2013
I don't think those are going to meet his accuracy requirments over the temperature range he is looking at.

My guess at why the meter draws so much more current than a voltmeter "should" is that this is being powered by the voltage it is measuring, isn't it. In other words, it has no internal battery and no external power connection. Is that correct?
Yes that is correct

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Then that leaves open the possibility of building a box that is powered by the system being measured and that simply outputs a voltage signal, via an emitter follower, that is capable of driving the meter. That would give you the full voltage range to work with for your reference circuitry.