Voltage Multiplier AC

Joined Dec 22, 2014
Hello,

Newbie here.

I have a question. I am interested in powering a very small neon fixture, from 120v house power.

I need to end up with AC 1500v to 2000v at 30ma. I was thinking a voltage multiplier might do the job. Am I completely off on this idea? I need this "transformer" to be very small.

Thanks,

Paul

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

2000 Volts @ 30 mA is 60 Watts.
That is not really smal.
A multiplier can only deliver DC voltage.
Besides, we do NOT allow transformer less powersuplies.
Better use a proper neon transformer.

Bertus

Joined Dec 22, 2014
I understand. I think I can work with dc, as it is a cold cathode (one connection) fixture.

Unfortunately, I can't use a retail neon transformer. I am building a prototype and require the circuitry to be integral.

When you say that "we do NOT allow transformer less powersuplies" what are you saying?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
power supplies running off the ac line without transformer isolation is dangerous. if you go to dc supply for the flourescent light, you will need to heat one of the filaments in the tube.

Joined Dec 22, 2014
What I am trying to duplicate is the picture down below. This is a one connection neon. Obviously not the most efficient, but that is not the goal. The goal is to supply this in the most compact way. I think a voltage multiplier is going to be the way, although I am not sure. The goal is to have an integrated power transformer on top, but obviously we are working with one lead. If we do a multiplier, I would only have a dc positive, but don't know if that would be a problem, as we don't have two connections.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
a capacitive multiplier that can crank out 60W / 2000v from 120v is not the kind of device you want to have at home. I dont even think its possible reasonably. Use the inverters which are fabricated for these CC tubes.

You cant build them easily yourself without ending up with expensive and large cores, the winding isnt easy too as magnet wire wont be so good for 2000 volts you need layers with special thin insulation. Its not worth the hassle for a once off circuit.