Voltage meter using LM3914

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by z-man, May 6, 2009.

1. z-man

z-man Thread Starter New Member

Hello! I am trying to replace an analog meter with a newer LED version in an amplifier, but am having problems with the input. What I want to do is display a max physical voltage of 0.28V (the max needle deflection of my analog meter) when I have my 30 LED's lit. I tried to find some sort of doubler/quadrupler circuit on the web to increase my voltage, but can't seem to figure out how to satisfy the input for the chip(s). Can this even be done? I was hoping not to modify any existing circuits in the amp. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. Audioguru

Audioguru New Member

An LM3914 has a full scale sensitivity of 1.25V. For a sensitivity of 0.28V you must amplify the input voltage from 0.28V to 1.25V which is a gain of 4.46.
    An opamp can be used as the amplifier.

The LM3914 is a linear voltmeter. An LM3915 is a logarithmic meter for audio levels and light brightness.
  3. z-man

z-man Thread Starter New Member

Thanks Audioguru, I guess I was just overlooking them for some reason. I decided on the LM6132 because of the low operating voltage, but was wondering if you might suggest something else?