Voltage drop compensation

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by Hariharan Gunasekar, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Hariharan Gunasekar

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Hello,
    I have a bus which provides constant voltage of 30v from solar panel (there is also a battery connected to the bus which is capable of providing 30v). For eg: if there is a drop of 5v in the bus, how do i design a circuit without using a micro controller to compensate the voltage drop and make the bus voltage as constant 30v that is the 5v drop is compensated from the battery. How do i communicate with the battery letting it know that there is a drop of 5v and it should provide 5v to the bus to compensate the drop.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A 5v drop is very large for a 30V bus. Typically you would want less than a volt drop under load.
    Sounds like you need larger wire for the bus.

3. Hariharan Gunasekar

Sep 20, 2016
    I mean if the solar panel is not able to provide 30v it only provides 25v, is there any way to compensate the loss using battery ?

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    So do you still want to use the 25V from the solar panel to provide power?
    If so then you could use a boost switching regulator to increase the panel voltage from 25V to 30V.

Otherwise you just use a voltage comparator to control a relay to switch from the panel to the battery.

Hariharan Gunasekar likes this.
  5. Hariharan Gunasekar

Sep 20, 2016
    I will try doing that.

Thanks for your time :)