Voltage Divider Circuits - calculation error?

zordiac

Joined Sep 29, 2008
In the voltage divider circuits article, there appears to be an error; though, I am a novice, so perhaps I don't understand something?
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_6/1.html

Below this line in the article:
From here, we can use Ohm's Law (I=E/R) to determine the total current, which we know will be the same as each resistor current, currents being equal in all parts of a series circuit:

The chart shows 2m as the result of I; however, with other calculators I've used, I get 1m, not 2m. I'm unable to produce 2m no matter what I do. Can someone clarify or correct this issue?

Thanks very much.

zordiac

Joined Sep 29, 2008
I think I just don't understand how it works... I assumed you should divide the total voltage by the total resistance. From your example, it looks like you're just using the highest resistance in the circuit? Is this how it should be done?

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
22.5k is the total resistance, composed of 5 + 10 + 7.5. The column labeled "total" is not a single resistance, but is a calculation of the sum of the three actual resistors.

Can you draw and post something to show what you understand the circuit to be -- just to be sure we are talking about the same circuit? John

zordiac

Joined Sep 29, 2008
John, we're talking about the same circuit. I think this is a result of staying up a little too late. I didn't register that the column was "total" for some reason; though it's plainly obvious now that I look again. Sorry about the misconception.

Thanks for all your help.

jessica

Joined Dec 31, 1969
This site is awesome i learned more in this one day, then 2 months in class. Thanks all.

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I don't understand why there are so many lets say, unhappy comments on this site. I understood the material very well. kVL law and voltage and voltage divider law. It was put very simple and sweet.

raybo

Joined Oct 18, 2008
Is insane to suggest that a potentiometer can be used to obtain lower voltages. well it can provided that the load remains the same and the load is considered in the design. He forget to mention some potentiometers are notlinear but a log function like volume controls. Otherwise reinventing ohms law. but well illustrated. rheostat?