Voltage Converter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Owlkid, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owlkid

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Hello everyone,

Recently, I've purchased some insect electrifiers from the US. Unfortunately, their 110V input does not go along with 220V output in my home country. As a consequence, one of bug buzzers was fried.

To be short, I am looking for some suggestions to build a mini voltage converter outlet to apply directly to the wall outlet. I look up a few sites, but the views are very bulky and inconvenient. So any assistance would be appreciated. Schematics would be great :D

2. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    This is not an area where a novice should be tempted to try to improvise anything. A transformer is probably the only practical option.

These things are available on the market for the purpose of running 110V gear from higher mains voltages, but note that many of them are of the "auto-transformer" type with only a single winding. Auto-transformers do not provide isolation, so are not so good for safety. Double-wound transformers are better, but also bulkier and more expensive.

Unless you have a lot of other 110V equipment, it may not be very economical to buy a transformer just to run a few bug zappers - you might find that buying new 220V zappers is actually cheaper. Put this one down to experience, and in future remember to check the mains voltage of any electrical items before buying, especially with imported equipment.

Owlkid likes this.
  3. Owlkid

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Well, I appreciate your concern. And there is nothing wrong for a person to learn and try something new! I am fully aware of the risk, but really there must be something, in small scale, to transform the Voltage. For instance, those laptops run on adapters, so why not ZAPPERS!? :cool:

For experimental purpose, I would like some schematics. I will probably test with a Voltmeter before actually running them, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    A transformer is the only acceptable solution. Our Terms of Service put this thread in the restricted category -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.