Voltage Controlled Switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by brighteyes, Dec 29, 2009.

1. brighteyes

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Guys

Was wondering if someone could help me with a small project.

I'm after something that will allow me to control (open or close) an output based on an input voltage taken from a Gear Position sensor on a motorcycle (0v to 5v) i.e. neutal=0.5v, 1st=1.1v, 2nd=2v, 3rd=2.7v, 4th=3.5v, 5th=4.1v and 6th=4.7v)
    Otherwards turn on when voltage is between 0V and 3V and off up to 5V.
    (On for 1st, 2nd & 3rd and off on 4th, 5th and 6th)

I'm a bit rusty but something tells me I simply need a zener diode to allow a voltage connected to an operational amplifer?

Also, what if I wanted to switch the output on for 4th i.e. variable resistance?

Thanks

Pete

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    You can use a comparator circuit with an op amp and a pot to adjust it at what gear (voltage) the comparator will output high.

3. brighteyes

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks buddy

Is it possible to purchase these off the shelf?

Regards
    Pete

4. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  5. brighteyes

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks Mik3

Very helpful information.
    Pete

6. brighteyes

Dec 29, 2009
    Mik3

I assume it works by comparing the voltage and then producing an output voltage itself? Or will it simply open and close a circuit as an output?
    I need the output of the circuit to close a circuit like a relay? I was planning to connect this device between the signal wire etc

Thanks

Pete

7. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    You can activate a relay but the output current capacity of a comparator IC is not enough to drive a relay directly, thus you need to use a transistor to increase the output current capability of the IC.