Voltage controlled DC motor controller?

acetm

Joined Aug 9, 2016
Hey all, this is my first post. I'm working on a project where I have an adjustable DC 0-12v 500mA power source which is used to control a model train motor on a miniature railroad. The control board/power source also has speaker outputs for realistic sound effects like engine RPM sounds which increase as the output voltage is increased.

I am working on a much larger backyard, rideable railroad and the train is powered by a 12v 150w 10a DC motor. I am installing an amplifier and speakers and want to use the same control system (built for small trains) for the realistic sound effects. Because it is only designed for low current uses, I need some sort of motor controller which will take the low current 0-12v voltage input, then take power from an external 12v power source and adjust that to control the speed of the larger motor accordingly. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The thing to look at is how the scooter controller speed is varied by (I assume a pot) and determine if it can also be controlled by a voltage at that input, or whether some sort of variable resistance is needed, such as from a digital pot.