voltage controlled current source

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mindbomb, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mindbomb

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hi

What is the simplest and best way to design a 0 to 5V voltage controlled current source for a stable 0 to 400mA output on low pure resistance loads (<5 ohm)?

Thanks

2. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Does the load have to be grounded?
    What supply voltages do you have available?
    How accurate does the voltage-to-current transformation need to be (%)?

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    An op amp with its output buffered by a transistor and your load placed in the feedback loop.

4. mindbomb

Mar 14, 2009
    Yep, I think the load has to be grounded, but I will be double-checking this tomorrow. I have a 5V supply available, and the transformation needs to be with 1mA precision at the output..

any ideas?

thanks!

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    This IC Shows schematics for using a precision voltage source as a precision current source or current sink. Output is only 110mA using the the precision voltage source, but other op-amps/transistors could be used as mentioned above.

6. mindbomb

Mar 14, 2009
    first- thanks!
    second -
    should I combine (cascade) 4 of these to achieve maximal 400mA output or just change the transistor/resistor combination to a more wattage capable selection to achieve my target?

7. mindbomb

Mar 14, 2009
    third - also for achieving a 1mA precision I will probably need to combine another low output current, high precision unit in parallel (since these units using maxim DS4303 have a minimum 10mA output)