Voltage controlled constant AC current source

NittuThakur

Joined Aug 23, 2010
Hi :cool:
I am designing a voltage controlled constant AC current source of 5 mA, and it is capable for supplying current up to 10 -500 ohm resistance range but my requirement is 1 - 20,000 ohms. can any one provide me the idea how to proceed.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
There are high voltage current regulators around.

Not sure if this type can be configured as an ac source .....

IXYS also produce AC (non switchable) type current regulators

http://www.ixys.com/

Do a part search on the site with the term "IXC" and you get a complete listing.

Attachments

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
The reason I mentioned the high voltage current regulators is that at 20kΩ load and 5mA (rms?) the load voltage requirement would be 100V (rms). So this is a high voltage application - which presents some design challenges. Also because it is an ac source that also complicates matters.

Another option might be a pwm inverter circuit with some load filtering to minimize harmonics. An isolation transformer with secondary side current feedback might be a useful option.

Does the 20Hz AC have to be a sine wave or would a square wave suffice? Your design specs are rather non-specific.

NittuThakur

Joined Aug 23, 2010
this is my assignment to design a AC constant current source. which is capable to supply constant current of 1 ohm to 20k. In my circuit I used instrumentation amplifier in the feedback circuit.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I was interested in pursuing the PWM inverter "solution" to the problem.

I've attached a general feedback control schematic diagram which I have tested as a simulation. Seemed to work OK. So the solution is achievable but wouldn't be simple or cheap.

Attachments

NittuThakur

Joined Aug 23, 2010
it seems to be quit complicated and quit costly circuit. I am trying to send my circuit to you, but due to larger size, unable to upload the circuit. can you plz send me your email id so that I can send you my circuit.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
it seems to be quit complicated and quit costly circuit. I am trying to send my circuit to you, but due to larger size, unable to upload the circuit. can you plz send me your email id so that I can send you my circuit.
This is something other forum members would probably also like to view and discuss.

What image format or file format are you trying to upload? How big is it?

If you have access to a scanner you can upload scanned files quite easily. If you are trying to upload a big image file then try re-sampling it to a smaller size before sending. Sometimes it can take some time to upload a file if the server is slow.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
You should also post a table or listing of the circuit values, amplifier component types and supply voltages, etc. Is the input control source a sinusoidal 20Hz?

1Ω to 20kΩ is quite a substantial dynamic load range.