Voltage booster!+-9V to +-100V

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shafeeqgt, Aug 13, 2010.

1. shafeeqgt

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi I'm new here.And I was wondering if anyone might know how to boost a dual supply voltage to from +- 9V to +- 100V?I'm working on a muscle stimulator using biphasic current.Cheers!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    One would use a transformer with a winding ratio of just over 11 to 1. The really important thing is that the stimulating current be medically safe. The output will have to be isolated from and supply electrical path (electrodes fully isolated) and energy limited to a level that can't cause harm. If you are dealing with human subjects, you may have to get the device certified as to safety.

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Do you mean like one of those TENS units?

And can you estmate how many milliamps it will need to supply? (probably only a few)

Pulsed &/or steady state output?

Battery operated or from an existing supply? (you really won't need the dual supply)

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    It only takes 35mA to stop the heart; be very careful with this device, if the resistor you use to limit current were to fail shorted (as some of the cheaper ones do) it could be very dangerous.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I heard you could stop the heart with 34mA...

;)

Actually, quite true about the resistor failing shorted. You should most Definitely have redundant current limiting and sensing to ensure no one gets hurt.

A simple resistor as the LAST in line.

Actually it would be better to lock the unit if a current greater than the set current is measured.