Voltage and Hz question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kevin78, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Kevin78

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello dear community,

I am a new member of the forum, my name is Kevin and I am from Peru. I hope you guys can help me.

So here is the problem to solve, I live in Peru where the voltage is 220V 60Hz at the moment I am working with this Chinese weaving machinery which is being made in 220V and 50Hz. As you can see this represent an issue that we have detected recently, we always had this problem with regulating the machine we think this happens because the difference in HZ the machine have different motors and this motors are regulated by electronic cards, in total the machine has

-Step motors
    -Servo Motors
    -Servo Drivers
    -Electronic Cards (Small cards for different purposes and a mainboard card which operate the general software and system of the machine)
    -Density motors
    - ..And so on

Thing is this, as we are not a big market we are not in the position to ask our supplier to make special machinery by changing all this components into 220V 60HZ. So here is my question, is there a way to change my voltage to make it 220V 50hz and feed the machine with this. I saw something while checking on google. http://www.gohz.com/1kva-frequency-converter

I have been reading some other issues from other people in the forum which is similar to this but the thing is that this is an industrial machine and like the density and step motors require some precision which exactly are having some problems at the time of knitting.

By the way the machine is 1 Phase

Thank you very much for reading this long post. Thank you very much for all the help, any idea will be really much appreciated and sorry for my bad english.

PD: If you need any pictures, additional information , anything just tell me. Thanks Again
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Generally the frequency does not represent a problem as most stepper, servo and spindle drives use a DC power supply that has been rectified, and using 60hz instead of 50hz should represent an advantage when producing DC.
    What kind of issues are you seeing?
    Voltage difference would be more of an issue than frequency.
  3. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    You should get a consultant for a job like this. Most of the motors may run off DC so the line frequency would not be a problem in that case. The ac motors will run faster from 60 Hz, and that could be your problem, but belts and pulleys can solve that problem. You need an onsite consultant because you can't expect a free web site to solve your problem because the job is to big to be done for free.
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Another thought is, most machines coming from China have SMPS, switching supplies that are very frequency forgiving.