Voltage and current with microcontroller

eugenics

Joined Jun 30, 2010
Hi all, i am having a similar issue; in addition to designing a simple curcuit for measuring voltage and current, the microcontroller should also be able to send voltage or current values to the circuit. could anyone help me with sample circuits or web links to where i could get such info? Thanks

PS: I am relatively new to the world of electronic design

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Welcome to the forums.

Your post hijacked an earlier thread - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=39033

There is a certain amount of uncertainty in your question - You speak of a "simple circuit" for the voltage and current measurement, and the a wish to be able to send values to "the circuit". That is confusing.

What are the upper bounds of the measurements? How much voltage and current? What degree of precision do you require, or is this mostly a learning exercise?

eugenics

Joined Jun 30, 2010
sorry about the "hijacking", i felt that the thread was quite similar to mine, so i did not want to create a new thread.

I want design an embedded webserver using microchip's TCP/IP Stack and a PIC development board. To prove that this works, i am expected to design a simple voltage and current measuring circuit and connect it to a development board. this would allow me monitor and regualate the voltage or current of the circuit remotely through a web interface.

I understand the coding and the TCP/IP part a bit, but the circuit design is the issue, as i have had very little harwdare training.

All i require is a circuit connected to the development board that allows you to regulate and monitor the voltage, and get the equivalent current value (and vice versa) through a web interface. I the circuit should operate at voltages between 0-20v.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
need info on the level of voltage you are required to measure..
But it could be as simple as a voltage divider feeding an ADC for voltage measurement, Hall effect current sensor feeding ADC for current measurement. Send/scale ADC measurements to web page.