Voltage adjustment

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mnemoseck, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Mnemoseck

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I am about 10 years removed from Circuit design so pardon me for being a bit rusty. I have a 6vdc to 40vdc signal that I want to clip at a 0 - 24vdc signal to trigger a relay. This is coming from the auxiliary port on a desk phone and I wanted to convert this into a "line in use" light. If I can get the voltage down I can connect to a relay and then I 'm good from there. I however am confused which direction to go and which components to pick. If I can get started on the right path I should be ok, if anyone can give a few suggestions.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Does the signal have enough current to trigger your relay directly? There are solutions that could use the signal to trigger a comparator, for instance, that would then control the relay. But that would would require a DC power supply to power the circuit.

If you have enough juice at your trigger and the relay doesn't require too much, I'm thinking you could use a current-limiting resistor and a zener to cap the input to the relay.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here's an idea: Why activate a relay coil when they require so much more energy than an LED? Why not just add a resistor and a light?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Good point, who needs a relay just to light a bulb ?!

5. Mnemoseck

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    You're right with the LED. The only benefit of doing a relay is that I can trigger anything, like a 120Vac Desk lamp. There is enough current draw. I can trigger the realy but the voltage doesn't drop low enough to releas it. I also have a controller at my desk that I can read the voltage into and incorporate it into a program for various other functions if it was scaled properly. I could simplify it down to an LED, and that would defiantly serve my purposes for now. Over complicating it also helps refresh my memory on alot of aspects.

Thanks.