Vol 1 DC Batteries

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Treeman, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Treeman

Thread Starter Member

May 22, 2014
    "When connecting batteries together to form larger "banks" (a battery of batteries?)",

Isn't one 'battery' a cell? If it is then the plural of cell is battery which I grant seems odd English.

Odd; English?:D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    A battery may contain many cells inside it. However, it is perfectly normal for someone to want to make parallel or series combinations of many batteries.

I believe this is more of a pun, on one of the other meanings of the word "battery", which is "an array of things/heavy guns".

3. Treeman

Thread Starter Member

May 22, 2014
    Thanks Geo I got the pun - the italics helped:cool: but isn't it "wrong" to call a cell a battery?
    A battery - by definition - has to contain two or many cells. Thus we must have a battery of cells in order to have a battery of batteries if such a thing can exist. When connecting cells in series or parallel don't they just become a battery?
    When connecting batteries don't they just become a bigger battery?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Uh, no. When you go to the store and buy AAA, AA, C, or D they are called batteries. You are correct in that they are cells, but English, both Queen's and American, has defined one of them as a battery, multiple as batteries.

I think you are correct, but language is defined by the majority, not the minority, and a battery is a relatively low tech device in that it has been around for about a century commercially. Modern batteries make the first commercial units look bad indeed.

The reason a flashlight got its name is they could not be turned on for long periods of time when they were first invented, the batteries could not handle it. So you flashed the light to make them last.

Treeman likes this.
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The confusion can even get bigger due to language differences.
    In holland we call a rechargeble battery an accu (this comes from accumolator).

Bertus

6. Treeman

Thread Starter Member

May 22, 2014
    I'm still having trouble accepting that all the B pots that I thought were wrong in my Glenfiddich Preamp were actually right and my cleverly English pneumonic to remember them by (Bogarithmic-Bog =toilet) was many years out out date and wrong.
    Only a bunch of geeky guys could change a code from A to B and B to A.

Don't get me started on electron and conventional flow everytime I play my guitar I think I'm summoning Earth Forces and turning into Merlin.

Please help as often as possible. I don't want to go back to the woods!

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    'Torch' from where I came from. ;)
    Max.

8. Treeman

Thread Starter Member

May 22, 2014
    Did Canada skip to the good stuff first?

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A bit of side humor, a torch is what you light your way as you chase Frankenstein down. According to the movies, they also have a very long life, one should last you all night, or as long as needed.

A note to Treeman, I don't mind helping folks. I will not use PM to teach electronics, but if requested via PM to look at a post I usually oblige. I have even been known to design specialty circuits, I find I enjoy drawing more than building, but I like to build too.

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Generally it is flash light in Canada also I meant the UK.:)
    Max.

11. Treeman

Thread Starter Member

May 22, 2014
    Bill - thanks for the offer. Juggling kids is not easy so learning will be slow. I accept that (slightly grudgingly) I am also much older and woollier than before. I'm practical so am always playing catch up with theory but I've had a look at the experiments on offer but lack time and peace!
    I'm on a mission to fix a few things and on the way have decided to make the things I need to do the do. No wonder I'm in a kerfuffle but we are getting somewhere. I'm hooked so any help is gratefully received. I having a growing list of things to do make and see!
    While working out how to PM could I direct you to my Relay post BPM22-SS etc.
    :)