Voice modifier help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tomkat1982, Mar 28, 2011.

1. tomkat1982

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Okay, you guys have probably had similar requests before, but I really could do with a quick bit of advice.

I have an absolutely awesome fancy dress outfit, but nobody can hear me from inside the heavy latex mask. The outfit is a huge devil, if any of you remember that old film Legend, that's the one.

I need to give this guy a voice.

I've seen these things here:

http://www.velleman.eu/distributor/products/view/?id=362322

And i'm thinking if I can extend the Microphone with a bit of wire into the latex head and run the speaker connection to a 3.5mm jack I could simply attach a simple battery operated set of speakers along the lines of this:

http://www.stak.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4528

Seems simple enough to me, and I've done enough basic soldering to manage it, but is this a reasonable plan, before I waste time and effort?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Greig

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Our member Fenris has made a voice modelator on the english Dalek forum.
    Perhaps it is an idea to cantact him.

Bertus

3. Fenris

Oct 21, 2007
    The voice changer looks OK. The specs say it can have a speaker attached directly so you may want to try small speaker first. It also says line out so you should have no issues using the separate amp.

The voice mod I do is for daleks. But interestingly one member, who goes out as Davros also has a mask, for the part, and had a similar problem. So I made a mic up for him.

I dismantled a mobile phone and removed the electret mic, which is very small in mobiles, soldered it to a length of audio cable with a 3.5mm termination. He was then able to fit the mic inside the mask just at the corner of his mouth and it worked very well.

I also fitted heat shrink around it to keep it safe. But you do need to, very carefully, cut a hole on the face side otherwise it wont pick up your voice at all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

regards

Fenris

just remember to wire the electret mic wires correctly as these have polarity. You should be good to go.