Voice mechanizer thingie

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Somewhere in storage I've got the first 400 issues of Marvel's Iron Man. I've also got a handful of Tales To Astonish and Tales Of Suspense but never did find a copy of TOS #39.

I also saw the movie last night.

I also go to three or four science fiction conventions per year.

I also spotted my vacuum-forming machine in storage yesterday.

So, what kind of audio modulation technique might one use to give a nice mechanized quality to one's voice? I'm sure some post-production tricks were used in the movie, as well as various TV shows where mechanical voices come from actors. But what might work for scifi con hall costume?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I enjoyed the movie. There were some particularly memorable bits.

"Hmm... This looks important..." rips out piece of opponent's armor

One bad thing: The made Rhodes a gumby instead of a Marine. They made him a colonel, but still...

I'll surf through some of those modulator hits and see if I find something to fit the bill.

Thanks!

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
i was going to suggest the vocoder for a "Soundwave" (the transformer) type voice. ive got a program (thats a pain in the butt to use) on my down computer.

it would be cool if you posted a link to a hardware solution

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
If you look closely in the scene in the movie that he assigns Pepper to go do something, (Being vague on purpose here) he dials on a piece of equipment that beeps. You only get a side view of the device, but it is almost assuredly an old tektronix scope. I'm pretty sure it didn't beep.