'Voice DE-activating Switch'

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by asdfasdf25, Nov 20, 2008.

1. asdfasdf25

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    First let me say I am very new to electronics, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Where I work I have to wear a two way radio and headset to communicate with the other employees. What I would like to do is make a device that I could plug my iPod into, and plug my two way radio into, and then plug my earpiece in as well. The music from my ipod would constantly be playing in my earpiece, except when someone is talking to me over the radio, I would want the audio from the iPod to stop playing. Then when the person is done talking I would want to resume playing the iPod audio.

Basically I want to know if this is possible to do relatively easily and small enough size for portability and to fit in my pocket. I don't expect a whole explanation or diagram or anything. But I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I would say so, it is a VOX where you are using the Normally Closed set of contact on the relay as opposed to the Normally Open. Should be a simple modification. You may have to find a kit for it though, and build it yourself.

3. asdfasdf25

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    So most VOX circuits I've seen use a relay. I have never used a relay, and I'm wondering two things:

1. Do they make a noise when the magnet turns on an flips the switch? I don't know that I could get away with having a bunch of clicks coming from my pocket every 30 seconds.

2. Also would the electromagnet in the relay mess with my iPod if they were in the same pocket?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Uhh, no, and no.

Bigger relays make more noise. Hopefully we are talking a small unit here.