Voice Activated Christmas Lights

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by macintosh1097, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macintosh1097

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi all

Every year I decorate the inside of my house with many lights. It's basically the griswald's, just inside. I've found that it's really annoying to go throughout the house to plug in and unplug everything so this year I want to make it voice activated. I'm petty knowledgeable with AC stuff but DC is still a little foreign. I know that for each room or set i will need a solid state relay. I want to have like a central control modual that will process the voice commands and from there i will have wire from a rj45 wire go to each ssd. My problem is that I do not know how to do this. Does anybody have any schematics or ideas on how to do this? I do know how to solder so that is not a problem. I just need to know how to put all this together.

Thanks for your help!

2. HonT

Oct 25, 2012
    You might want to consider a voice recognition module for starters.
    I suppose you want at least two commands to turn on and off the lights? What else will you need?

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Is voice control all that important? I mean, if you could hit one button to turn all the lights on or off, wouldn't that solve your problem?

5. macintosh1097

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I would be open to having buttons control it as opposed to voice control, however I would like to operate each room separately because I won't always want all of the lights on. Taking that into consideration, that would be a lot of buttons. Going back to the voice recognition, there wouldn't have to be an on/off command for every room. Could I use the same command to turn the lights on and off? If the lights are on, then they can only go off, and vice versa. I'm hoping I'll be able to control each room separately and then have an all on/off command. I think I'll have about 10 separate circuits, so that would be 10 commands ( if I can use the same command for on and off) plus an all on and all off, so about 12 total. I don't believe that the switch mentioned by DodgyDave will work because I won't be able to control each relay separately. However I'm not sure if that is correct. I will need about 10 separate replays, and they can not be on the same electrical circuit in my house because all of the lights combined would draw too much power. That is why I wanted to have a central controller that would send the signal to each relay through an rj45 wire, so that most of the lights are on separate ac circuits in my house. I did find some controllers for christmas lights with about 16 channels, one for each relay, however the relays are onboard and again that would draw too much power.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You may want to jump into home automation, wiki here.

It may look like overkill at first but the power and versatility it gives might be worth it. I think you could control your whole system over the internet using your smartphone, for instance. How cool would that be?