vista compatible c/c++ ide

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by pradeep008, Feb 27, 2008.

1. pradeep008

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    hi guys,can u please help me in finding a free vista compatible c/c++ ide
    reply me as soon as possible.thanx

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    For C++ you could look at Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

If you are a student you may want to look at something called DreamSpark from MS that will give you the full professional version of the above software for free: https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

As for recommending a C IDE, it might be best to know your application focus before recommending anything.

Dave

3. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    There is a C-Free compiler on the web at www.programarts.com. I would advice you to ask if the C-Free compiler is Windows Vista compatible before downloading. In the beta version, they had a problem with a C-Free memory violation error occurring during a program edit. As of 2/14/2008, this error was not corrected.

I've been using the C-Free beta version for a month now without much difficulty. The error message did not affect my small programs.

C-Free is shareware.

John

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    John, didn't you succeed in running it in compatibility mode under Vista? Or did you find that that produced problems?

Dave

5. Colin Mac

Mar 11, 2008
    MSVC++ 2008 is fine for C too.

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  7. Colin Mac

Mar 11, 2008
    Yeah, and in 2008 it's much easier now, all you need to do is rename the .cpp file to .c.

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the information Colin. At work we recently got a license for the full VS2008 Professional so this might come in handy.

Dave

9. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    I have not tried that because the beta version is running fine for my purposes. Installing the C-Free compiler would cause the beta version to be deleted. However, I contacted the software developers at the site and they assured me that they would email me when the C-Free compiler is debugged and released.

John

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the information, John. Be sure to let us know.

Dave