Virtual Ground on Power Supply?

KLillie

Joined May 31, 2014
You could use it as a sintellply with no problems.

You still haven't indicated what kind of voltage and current you are hoping to achieve.
I'd like to get 12v and 100ma. Now I will quietly wait for someone to tell me that is not possible.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'd like to get 12v and 100ma. Now I will quietly wait for someone to tell me that is not possible.
That sounds doable. Your wallwart front end is going to have lousy regulation, so it's hard to say what the input voltage will be. But let's call it the nominal 16V. If you are drawing 100 mA from it with a 12V output that will put about 400 mW of heat being dissipated by the regulator. You'll need to check the data sheet for your regulator, but I would imagine that it won't take much of a heat sink to deal with that.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As WBahn said, you could use it as a single supply, using just the actual ground (NEG) and +OUT - and the virtual ground would use hardly any current.

The L272 is a very useful power opamp, capable of ~700mA/0.7A output. If you look in the datasheets for this part, you will see how it can be used as a simple H-bridge with just a couple of external components (resistors). It is very commonly used in the automotive industry to do things like lock/unlock doors, drive heater vent flaps, etc.

KLillie

Joined May 31, 2014
As WBahn said, you could use it as a single supply, using just the actual ground (NEG) and +OUT - and the virtual ground would use hardly any current.

The L272 is a very useful power opamp, capable of ~700mA/0.7A output. If you look in the datasheets for this part, you will see how it can be used as a simple H-bridge with just a couple of external components (resistors). It is very commonly used in the automotive industry to do things like lock/unlock doors, drive heater vent flaps, etc.
Would I be able to use a lm386 instead of the l272? Shipping from Mouser is $8.00! Also, what information in the datasheets will tell me if it is stable at unity gain?

KLillie

Joined May 31, 2014
Got the l272's from Digikey. They were a little more per part, but shipping was only a little over $3.00. Thanks again.