Vintage Tin-can Op Amps - RCA & Motorola (mostly)

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by GopherT, Dec 15, 2015.

1. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Is anyone interested in a box of about 100 to 150 vintage RCA & Motorola Op Amps in Tin Can package. These are from the mid-1970s and earlier in most cases. A few have later dates.

Let me know if you are interested or if you are looking for specific part numbers.

Before I go digging though them or post pictures, I am just looking for interest. All are new (appear to be new). I have not owned them since manufacture so I have no claims to storage conditions but they appear to be in good shape and all pins are clean (no solder). Some are still in the little plastic holders.

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Are there any CA3080 operational transcunductance amplifiers in the lot?

3. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    One.

image.jpg

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    That means that your collection includes one of the more sophisticated opamps of that time.

I wonder why such a mundane opamp at the uA741 is still in production while such an exciting and flexible device like the CA3080 has been out of production for a very long time.

5. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    I have 6 units of CA3080 in PDIP packages as well.

Also, the LM13600 / 13700 seem to be pretty close knock-offs of the CA3080 - LM13700 are still in production.

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...p-amps-buffer-amps/2556125?k=transconductance

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    That's what I was gonna ask. :)

7. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    I'll let Mr. Cappels have first dibs and I'll take whatever you can't get rid of.
    eric

8. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm not sure Dick was making an offer. Let's give him a day or two to clarify.
    Also, I'm not sure the postman lets me send things TO the North Pole on Christmas.

Sinus23 likes this.
  9. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Thank you KL7AJ.

If GopherT had five or more I would interested in having them on hand in case I need them. I learned a long time ago that I, who is particularly adept at smoking parts, need several spares for any project.

I won't compete with KL7AJ for these.

recklessrog likes this.
  10. MrAl

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

I am not looking to sell anything, but I have one 3080 from the 1980's. It was a cool part but i think the problem was that the gain is not linear with the control signal. I think they made it linear in the LM device. The bandwidth was better than the LM device however.
    I also have one of the first commercial transistors. Had other vintage parts but discarded them many years ago.

11. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015

Re: "I wonder why such a mundane opamp at the uA741 is still in production..."
    They are heavily referenced in schools as the basic op amp.

12. littleghost

Jan 15, 2016
    Any Left? I have an old scope that seems to get through them :D

13. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    @Little Ghostman

Welcome back, my friend. Your intensity seems to have calmed a bit since you were here last. I hope all is well.

Is there a particular unit your old scope needs?

image.jpg

14. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I have never been able top read the markings on the original one! I am long past caring with this scope what it gets! :D

But just because I hate shoddy work I will strip it down Monday and see if i can get an idea of part number, its a old GOULD scope and I love it to bits! but I am sure one channel the opamp has gone. I have nothing to loose so may well buy a couple of lucky dips and just try them :D.

Lack of intensity is purely down to lack of energy!!! its exam time and I got over ambitious on my tech project, hence the 4-5am bed times lol. Nearly done though and I have the paper side submitted, a few weeks left to get the actual hardware done and submitted!

plus a little bird told me you had interesting bits for sale! How could I resist lol

15. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012

Let me know, I'll see what I can do. Also, what model Gould do you have?

16. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014
    I have several so not sure which it is now as I havnt touched it for ages, I will drag my lazy arse out to the workshop Monday or Tuesday and take a look. I have two the same and one works (or did when I last used it) so I can use that as a guide.

I managed to get a fabulous Lecroy scope a while back for next to nothing, it needs calibrating as the frequency is spot on but the volts read a little low. I found a Yahoo group that sells the upgraded chipset for it, I think its $30 so as soon as I have the cash I will get the chipset, apparently it unlocks all the features (legally). I have always loved Gould scopes, way before there time in features. But slowly mine are dying and they are full of Tantilum caps in the most obscure corners.

But the Lecroy is in another league, I saved for ages to get decent probes for it, then shortly after I came across a FET probe (or whatever they are called) in the wrong section on ebay, and it was spelt wrong!! Oh happy days I felt almost guilty winning the auction on the first bid......Almost felt guilty

17. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    CA308 same as LM308 I guess?
    These are traded for several dollars each, and used in eguitar effect circuits.
    These rely on vintage parts to exploit the poor performance for distortion.

On a related forum youd find customers for some of these old ICs for sure.

18. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    I still have a drawer full of PM356J (LF356) I think were tested and selected for low noise and low offset, so I hear. 1981 date code (8129). Still in the plastic keeper. Found them at a yard sale. :)

Does anybody still manufacture this can case?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016