Vintage GE gauge question

Cruisin Dakota

Joined Apr 20, 2012
I recently found 10 Vintage GE gauges in the attic of my house that used to belong to my late Grandfather. Since I have no use for them I am trying to sell them for some much needed extra cash.

The gauges I found are:
(2) 0-200 DC Microamps with A93 103A stamped on the back and 50-152111EAEA2 on the box label.
(2) 0-1 DC Millamperes with O383 stamped on the back and 50-152111FAFA2 on the box label.
(1) 0-250 DC Microamperes with y and O731 stamped on the back and 50-250300EAEA1JBP on the box label.
(1) 0-3 AC Milliamperes with A84 and J393 stamped on the back and 50-157151FNFN1 on the box label.
(1) 0-300 AC Volts with H334 stamped on the back and 50-250341RXRX1 on the box label.
(1) 0-150 AC Volts with 214X stamped on the back and 50-251344PZPZ1 on the box label.
(1) 20-0-20 DC Milliamperes "Big Look" with 032 stamped on the back and 50-162112HFHF2 on the box label.
(1) 0-150 AC Volts "Big Look" with 513 stampd on the back.

All these gauges are in brand new never used condition, they are in the original boxes also. The 0-150 AC Volts "Big Look" gauge still has the factory plastic wrap around the gauge. Every box has mounting hardware in small paper envelope in the bottom of the box. These gauges are all analog with a moving needle and a couple have dates written on the box label that show mid or late 70's.

Can someone please help me figure out the value of all these gauges? I will never have a need for them and will never need to use them.

Matt

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Anything you sell is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. A good way to find out what people are willing to pay for it, is to try to sell it. Try eBay for one of them to get an idea. I don't think there's a blue book for such things. I suspect you won't strike it rich with these. Just a hunch.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

I think Standor's advice is sound enough. Typical cost for decent gauges is around $5-10, but you might be able to get more if you offer it for auction with good pictures.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you ebay them, sell them individually, it's more effort but you should get more money. If you sell them all as a lot, you will probably see them all on ebay again individually.

Cruisin Dakota

Joined Apr 20, 2012
I have been burned bad on ebay selling items before, therefore I don't trust it. It is not that an item sold and was reposted right away, it is that out of about 20 items I tried to sell.....only 3 sold. That experience is why I am trying to "Do my homework" on these items first. I need to get as much money as I can.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The bigger rush you are in to sell, the lower your profit.

I suggest trying to find your target audience. These are vintage meters, and of great value mostly to people using vintage gear.

Ham Radio owner/operators might be your largest single group to offer these items to.

Be mindful, there are several sources for such things and the potential customers are all thinking/trying to buy as cheaply as possible.

Good luck

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have been burned bad on ebay selling items before, therefore I don't trust it. It is not that an item sold and was reposted right away, it is that out of about 20 items I tried to sell.....only 3 sold. That experience is why I am trying to "Do my homework" on these items first. I need to get as much money as I can.
Goes back to "things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them". if they didn't sell, your reserve was too high. Even blue book for cars is not a concrete indicator of "what a car is worth" , it's just a starting point, to give you an idea. I have had a car on the market before, for over a year, asking blue book value, in perfect shape, and it never sold. In order to get rid of it, I had to keep lowering and lowering the price until it sold for what people were willing to pay. It apparently was worth 2000$ less than blue book. All that "doing your homework" is going to accomplish, is to give you some preconceived notion; what you THINK it's worth, and set you up for disappointment when you never get it sold for that price.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I agree with the previously expressed low opinions of e-bay. If you look on qth.com and qrz.com, you will find similar meters available from $1.00 to $15.00 each. At local ham fest flea markets, I find such meters marked $5.00 or $10.00, but the seller is usually willing to let them go for $2.00 or $3.00. You can also post such things on craigslist, but observe all the precautions found there. If you post a notice for them anywhere on the 'net, mention the diameter of the meter face and the diameter of the hole required to mount the meter, for each device. You won't get rich from the sale of these items, but we already knew that, neh?

Cruisin Dakota

Joined Apr 20, 2012
Thank you for the advice everyone. I will think about what to do with these gauges. Unless someone on this forum wants to buy them all for $5.00 each or $50.00 for all 10 (Plus shipping of course), they will end up on craigslist in 8 seperate ads.