vintage amp

kinetic_Energie

Joined May 23, 2015
Hi All,
I'm from the Phils. and was audioning a vintage Aurex SB-420 model 1976 amp when something popped and when checked its a capacitor labeled no 58 in the board. The listed price is USD 100 or Php4,500.

Is it advisable to buy this at a discounted price of USD 67 or Php 3,000 and bring this to a reputable repairman and shoulder the repair cost?

1.upload_2015-5-23_14-2-28.png

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I agree with Blocco. Sounds like a rip-off price.
You may be lucky and it's just the one cap blown, but check the circuit for any other dodgy-looking components, e.g. bulging or leaky electrolytics, cooked resistors, loose or corroded parts. With an amp that old it would be advisable to replace all the electrolytics in any case. They're living on borrowed time.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I think we need to know more.

What are the exact symptoms of the amp and why do you think it is this capacitor?

The capacitor has a more useful designation printed on it which will tell us its value and voltage rating.
(I don't see a group of 5 capacitors ?)

Your amp has two identical channels so any fault in can be compared with the working channel.

$100 for a capacitor? I don't see any gold plate.

Do you have a schematic of the amp?

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
What is written on the side of the capacitor? You should be able to replace all of those electrolytic capacitors for less than $100.00.

Last edited:

kinetic_Energie

Joined May 23, 2015
Gud pm, All,
thanks for the replies.

Actually the amp is with the seller, looking at the pics i got my best guess is the 50v 470uf grey colored capacitors.

I requested the seller, who happen to be a chef in a shipping line that plies to japan, to have it replaced and I will audion it again.

Actually the price in USD for the amp, if I get it as, with busted capacitor, is us 67 or 3,000 pesos.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Caps of those values (post #7), 105C working, are listed by main distributors at ~ 1$ US each in small quantities.