video transmission via laser diode

sesmd (stan)

Joined Sep 30, 2014
Greetings to all interested - I have been trying to build a system where I can send a ccd camera acquired
real-time image via a modulated laser diode beam. I've successfully built the transmitter part - which intensity
modulates a red laser diode. However, I'm having trouble obtaining adequate frequency response at the
receiver end. I've chosen a new approach - using a red LED as the beam detector (setup reverse biased @ 5V),
driving a FET-NPN BJT cascode amp. However, I'm having trouble with cascode amp biasing. I am mainly
self-taught, so my knowledge is spotty, and I have very little experience using software circuit design tools.
I welcome any help and/or pointers from anyone interested in such a project.
Thanks in advance to all contributions!

stan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have some questions:
  1. How is the beam from the laser diode modulated?
  2. What datarate are you using for the digital information?
  3. Why did you choose a reversed biased LED as a detector?
  4. Can you show us a schematic diagram so we can see how the amplifier is biased?

sesmd (stan)

Joined Sep 30, 2014
I have some questions:
  1. How is the beam from the laser diode modulated?
  2. What datarate are you using for the digital information?
  3. Why did you choose a reversed biased LED as a detector?
  4. Can you show us a schematic diagram so we can see how the amplifier is biased?
Thanks for your interest!
I am analog modulating the laser diode, using a video signal to drive a simple MOSFET amp, adjusting bias and gain, such
that the laser maintains adequate current for coherent beam production. I believe the approximate video frequency is
about five MHz. A red LED matched to a red laser diode (by trial) work well together, and a LED as a sensor has a
very fast response rate. Reverse biasing allows using a greater bias across the LED, with greater voltage variation in response
to laser illumination. Being new to this site, I'll have to see what means I have to post a schematic that is generally accessible
to all... I'll post as soon as I work this out.

Thanks again!

sesmd (stan)

Joined Sep 30, 2014
What is your transmission medium? Is it air or optical fiber?
I'm projecting the laser diode across an air gap of about 100 ft., between two buildings, I use a one inch double convex lens to focus the
beam on the LED sensor. The eventual plan is to have the LED / cascode circuit as a unit at the receiver end, feeding a video signal i n
by coax.

Thank for your interest!

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Commercial products for this have been around since the 70's, and every one I've ever seen uses FM modulation of the optical beam. Back in my night shift days we built one and quickly learned why. Besides the mammoth noise issue, you have two nonlinear transducers whose nonlinearities do not compliment or cancel out each other. FM is not simple or easy, and we cheated by using the FM modulator and demodulator in two videotape machines. The difference in results is huge.

ak

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for your interest!
I am analog modulating the laser diode, using a video signal to drive a simple MOSFET amp, adjusting bias and gain, such
that the laser maintains adequate current for coherent beam production. I believe the approximate video frequency is
about five MHz. A red LED matched to a red laser diode (by trial) work well together, and a LED as a sensor has a
very fast response rate. Reverse biasing allows using a greater bias across the LED, with greater voltage variation in response
to laser illumination. Being new to this site, I'll have to see what means I have to post a schematic that is generally accessible
to all... I'll post as soon as I work this out.

Thanks again!
"Analog Modulating" is not a very useful or precise phrase. I don't understand what you mean by that, can you elaborate?
Did you perhaps mean Amplitude Modulate?