Video Over Firewire

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by mossman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. mossman

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I am using a microscope at work that uses a CCD camera to capture video and sends it to the PC for viewing using the accompanying software package. The cable from the CCD camera first goes to a control box, which has other functions (stage control, laser, etc.) then via a firewire cable to the PC. My question is, is there a way to feed the video signal from the firewire cable/card to a TV monitor? For example, if the firewire card has three ports, can I somehow configure the firewire card so that it feeds the video signal out of one of the other ports, then make a firewire to S-video (or component) adapter in order to connect it to the TV? In case anyone is wondering why I don't simply display the active desktop on the TV monitor, its because the software package used with the camera only displays video in a small fixed window that takes up only 1/3 of the screen and can't be enlarged. So what I'm basically trying to do is split the video signal from the CCD camera and send one connection to a 42" TV monitor and the other connection to the PC (like it is now). Alternatively, is there a video converter box that will take a DV firewire input and output either an S-video or component video signal? If the converter box doesn't have a firewire output, is it possible to acquire the video signal off of the firewire card on the PC (e.g. feed through firewire port 1 input to port 2 output)?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Does PC has a video card with two outputs?

Does TV has VGA or HDMI inputs?

3. mossman

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2010
    There are currently two monitors connected via two different cards. One card has an S-video port available and the other has an HDMI port available. The TV/monitor has VGA, DVI-D, S-video, and component video inputs.