video in matlab

singhak

Joined Oct 18, 2004
hi
can someone help me in recording video from a logitech USB webcam through MATLAB (R13 or R14). I am working on a robotic project on lines of ROBOCUP where I have to record the video and then process it to form sequences of binary images.
thanx

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by singhak@Mar 25 2005, 11:48 AM
hi
can someone help me in recording video from a logitech USB webcam through MATLAB (R13 or R14). I am working on a robotic project on lines of ROBOCUP where I have to record the video and then process it to form sequences of binary images.
thanx
[post=6383]Quoted post[/post]​
MatLab is a great simulator and building system, but when it comes to actual processing, its pathetic. So slow. If your talking about doing any form of actions based upon digital images its not good. If you just have to aquire images and convert them and time is not an issues, it will work. Part of the problems with MatLab is its dynamic allocation of memory is bad at best which slows things down, especially if you have large chunks of data like with music or video.

To give you an example, I used MatLab for a simulation base for some thermodynamic equalibrium problem I am working on for a Masters. The thing ran slower than real time in the end and it was only half of the equalibrium problem. I recoded the exact same thing by hand in C++ and added the other half of the equasions and the program runs about 100x faster EVEN with calls to store all the data to a file. In essence, it would be about 200x faster since I double the calculations and this was not even memory intensive. I think I used a total of 1K with all my classes.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, just trying to make sure you're not going to ask of MatLab more than it can do and save from pulling ur hair out.