Video Generation with AVR

lefam

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hello Guys,

Please can you point me to websites where I can learn how to do video generation with AVR microcontrollers (in preference Atmega168).

If possible, your answers can be in the style of a tutorial.

Thank you.

lefam

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I am looking for websites with explanation of the protocols, NTSC/PAL, etc. With basic explanations and examples of how to generate signals.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hello Guys,

Please can you point me to websites where I can learn how to do video generation with AVR microcontrollers (in preference Atmega168).

If possible, your answers can be in the style of a tutorial.

Thank you.
A color video signal is rather complex. I don't believe that an AVR 8-bit microcontroller by itself can cope with the 3.579545 Mhz NTSC color signal. A monochrome tv signal is a lot less complex and therefore may be feasible.

It would help if you would elaborate on what is the nature of the tv signal you would like to generate.

hgmjr

Last edited:

lefam

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A color video signal is rather complex. I don't believe that an AVR 8-bit microcontroller by itself can cope with the 3.579545 Mhz NTSC color signal. A monochrome tv signal is a lot less complex and therefore may be feasible.

It would help if you would elaborate on what is the nature of the tv signal you would like to generate.

hgm
As I am just starting I will be glad with monochrome tv signals.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was just reading through a google search.. Found some interesting stuff on video signal creation using onboard SPI.

Start looking at "OSD" or On Screen Display projects.

That will get you putting text on the screen, and getting the Pal/ntsc signals and timing correct.
I searched "AVR OSD"

here is one cool thing: Anyone involved with RC Airplanes will enjoy this:
http://webx.dk/rc/video-wireless/video-osd.htm

lefam

Joined Nov 30, 2010
First, I would like to be able to draw some points and vertical/horizontal lines. My ultimate goal is to be able to make simple games like tetris and pong.