Vibration switch vs. Tilt switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Magic Wire, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Magic Wire

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    What is the difference between a vibration switch, or shaking switch, and a tilt switch?

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    A vibration switch senses vibration.. a tilt switch senses tilt. ;)

3. Magic Wire

Nov 24, 2013
    OK, thanks. Ha ha. The reason I am asking is when I did a search on ebay to buy a tilt switch, this vibration switch or shaking switch kept coming up. Maybe something got lost in the translation from the Chinese seller, but it sounded like you have to shake the switch to get it to go on again once is tilted to "off". I need it to work like a mercury switch.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Do you have links to examples?
    And what is your application?
    Max.

5. Magic Wire

Nov 24, 2013
  6. Magic Wire

Nov 24, 2013
    OK, here is what I am making. I was going to post this project in the projects forum. I am making an electronic candle. Look up Fantasio appearing and vanishing candles on youtube. I am a magician and I created a candles act using those. Unfortunately the fire dept will not always grant me a permit to perform using an open flame. So I decided to go electronic and avoid the hassle.

The compartment for the electronics is only 2 1/4" long tube with a diameter of half an inch, though the candles can telescope to 16". I am attaching a super bright orange LED to the top of this compartment with a plastic flame tip.

To keep the spirit of a real candle, I want to use a modified lighter, that also shines an LED that has a magnet. So when I bring the lighter to light the the candle, the magnet will turn on the LED because of the hall effect sensor. To "blow" the candle out, I could either use a magnetic ring I wear with the opposite pole by bringing my hand near the "flame", or use a tilt switch to break the circuit when the candle collapses to its coiled state, (for the vanishing candle). The appearing candles probably won't need a tilt switch since once I make them appear, they go on a candelabra.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It seems to me as it is a replacement for a mercury switch except as per the instructions, if it is below 15° it requires shaking?
    Max.

8. Magic Wire

Nov 24, 2013
    That is what I am confused about. I don't want to shake it to reset it. I am thinking of just going with a mercury switch.

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you dont tilt it down below 15° mark it should not be a problem.
    If you have a magnet on a ring, what about a bi-polar magnetic latch such as the Honeywell SS4xx series.
    You need one pole to latch and one to unlatch, either the ring and another magnet or the two poles of the ring itself?
    Max.

10. Magic Wire

Nov 24, 2013
    Well, due the nature of the handling or the manipulation of the candles, I will go past 15 degrees. I would be using the north side of the magnetic ring to turn them off. But I have to play around with them once I build them to get those answers on the specifics. I may not need the ring at all, just the modified lighter to turn them on. There will be some trial and error. I even contacted Fantasio himself and he shared some ideas and has marketed an electronic candle. But it is no where near as sophisticated as this set up. I am going to send him one when I get this thing built. I ordered the parts and am just waiting. I still need to order a tilt switch. I was going to order from the link above but thought I would ask the question here first.